A Conversation for The Lone Pine Club

age of characters

Post 1

The Duke of Dunstable

Bertie Wooster, as produced by P.G Wodehouse, aged not a single year between 1928 and 1973. Nor did anyone else he encountered in the stories, especially not Jeeves.
Makes one wish one was a character, no?


age of characters

Post 2

Olaf the, er, Hesitant

I think I am: I'm a fictitious King!


age of characters

Post 3

The Duke of Dunstable

And your age will strictly depend on your type of character. Being a viking chief, I'd say your age will be your mid-thirties. Mine, being a duke of scary forms, will be my early fifties.


age of characters

Post 4

The Duke of Dunstable

Seing as in real life you are almost exactly ten years older than me, this way I shall, by means of my fictious older age be more respectable and soigné than you. Har-har-har.


age of characters

Post 5

Olaf the, er, Hesitant

Righty-ho, Duke! Not very diplomatic to bring up the age difference thing, but I'll forgive you.

Of course you're absolutely right about the P.G. Wodehouse characters not aging, but, then, neither did the settings or historical period change. In the Lone Pine books it was quite strange that history moved on, but the characters who sorted out WWII Nazi spies in the first book were only five or so years older when the last book set them firmly in the late Seventies. It is quite weird to consider it, but of course one suspends disbelief as always.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Lone Pine Club

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more