Boggart Hole Clough

1 Conversation

The Manchester Boggart

Situated in Blackley, North Manchester, Boggart Hole Clough is one of many parks in the city. Acknowledged as a local beauty spot, it was purchased in 1890 by the City Council to prevent housing being built on the land. The park boasts 190 acres of green land; it has various picturesque hills, as well as ravines or 'cloughs' in local dialect. The park was refurbished as a result of The Commonwealth Games being staged in Manchester in 2002.

Why the unusual name?

Many parts of Lancashire and Yorkshire are said be haunted by boggarts, mischievious spirits who enter your home and cause general mischief, pulling your ears, removing your bed sheets and even putting their clammy hands on your face while you sleep!(Boggarts are invariably male). One such place was a farmhouse in Blackley. It was said that the farmhouse was infested with boggarts and the farmer and his family were forced to move. On packing their cart a neighbour walked past and asked them if they were leaving. When the farmer replied 'Aye, neighbour, we’re flitting' the words were echoed by the boggart. The farmer was so dismayed by this, realising that the boggart was going with them, that he had no choice but to unpack his cart and return home.

We can only assume that the farmer did not have a horse, or at least, access to one, for it is said that a horseshoe hung on the door will keep them away.

What to do in Boggart Hole Clough

Boggart Hole Clough has a country park setting and many walks can be undertaken, guided or otherwise. Thanks to recent funding the park now has many leisure facilities, a bowling green, tennis and basket ball courts, a boating lake and children’s play area. It has its own permanent orienteering course and an athletics track. It has family fun days in the summer and an annual firework display.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A12756242

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more