Snickerdoodles

1 Conversation

A Delightful Excuse for a Snack

A snickerdoodle is a type of sugar cookie that is coated with cinnamon and sugar. However simple sounding this may be, the various styles that can be created with the recipe are numerous. Some cookies are small, some large; some are soft, some crispy; some have lots of cinnamon, some just a dash; some even have a walnut on them (a bizarre twist stemming from an art teacher at a small middle school in southwestern Pennsylvania, USA), and some don't have any extra topings. It is a treat to be custom fitted to your individual taste.

The Basic Recipe:

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix all the ingrediants together. Shape teaspoonful of dough (more dough, bigger cookie... you dig?) into balls and roll in cinnamon-sugar (or just sprinkle if you happen to dislike cinnamon). Place on cookie sheet, flatten slightly, and bake at 400 degrees until set.

Options

Forget the cream of tartar. Does anyone know what this is or what it does?* And, does anyone actually own any?

Add more flour. If the dough sticks to your hands instead of doing what it is supposed to, this may be a wise thing to do.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A126208

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more