A Conversation for Software Engineering

Software Engineering - a more accurate description

Post 1

Researcher 188416

The comparison offered by the previous entry is somewhat accurate, yet mildly deceiving. It only offers a tunnel vision of software engineering, demonstrated by reference to COTS.

Software Engineering is a blend between art and science. The only thing constant about software is the fact that it will change. Software Engineering discipline manages that change.

A software engineer is a renaissance man. He or she must be able to manage the project from inception to its completion through the whole lifecycle. A software engineer is also a programmer, but a programmer is NOT a software engineer.

It is WRONG to say that a software engineer and a programmer would usually produce software of the same quality. For more information on this topic point your browser to [URL removed by moderator].



Software Engineering - a more accurate description

Post 2

Queazer

I know the entry is somewhat shallow. It isn't an official entry nor a thesis on software engineering, it is my own light hearted dig at the differences between the salaries offered to a 'systems analyst/programmer' and that of the lowly software engineer. I've been one for eighteen years so have reason to moan. I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed...


Key: Complain about this post

Software Engineering - a more accurate description

More Conversations for Software Engineering

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more