A Conversation for The Blair Witch Project

blairwitch

Post 1

Researcher 52786

does anybody understand the movie. I've heard it's not really real and it was staged. And that it was real. and the ending of the movie confuses me how is that dude standing up in the corner.


blairwitch

Post 2

Researcher 52893

This movie is complete fiction! I can't believe so many people still think that it's real!... if something like this actually took place it would've been all over the news back in '94... And about Josh standing in the corner... well remember the interview talking about Rustin Parr back in the 40's? he killed 7 children, 2 at a time, and had one stand in the corner while he killed the other.. so I think right at that moment when Heather saw Josh standing there.. she remembered the story and new she was gonna die...


blairwitch

Post 3

Zach Garland

It is just a movie, but that doesn't deter from it the sheer brilliance and inspiring approach to the horror genre. It leaves more questions than answers. I wish more films were this thought provoking.

Mike is standing in the corner at the end, much like Rustin Parr put one child in the corner while killing the other. We are led to assume that Josh is murdered but we never see a body. We see what appears to be a portion of his remains but that's argumentative. We are led to assume that Mike is in the corner by some supernatural means because it seems unreal to think he'd do it of his own accord.

However, what few take into account is we never actually see them die. We never actually see Josh's body, and we don't know what happened to Heather. One or all of them could actually have survived the encounter.

It's Shoedinger's Cat. It's the state of not knowing. That's what is most perplexing and fascinating about this film.


blairwitch

Post 4

Grey

And it's that last image in the film that I find sticks with me the most--seeing Mike standing in the corner with his face to the wall and hearing Heather scream.

I knew before I went to go see it that everything about it was made up--but that makes it even more interesting to me. They had to make up these legends and *everything*.


blairwitch

Post 5

Zach Garland

I'm currently researching all the legends and backstory, trying to figure out how it all fits together and see if it sheds more light on the fate of those three characters. Since the next sequel may be a prequel that goes back in time, we may never know which really bugs me.


blairwitch

Post 6

Grey

Find anything important yet that's worth passing along?


blairwitch

Post 7

Zach Garland

Well if you go to the link section of my Blair Witch pages you will find some very intriguing facts about this film. I've also tried to share everything I can find about this movie in the many pages I've written about this piece. One thing I think I may not have had a chance to add is this:

The story doesn't begin with Elly Kedward, the irish born woman accused of witchcraft who is banished to the woods in the 1700s and left for dead. The woods she is left in are actually forboding according to the natives who lived on this soil before the Europeans came here. Back in the 1630s, the wife of Colonel Blair (founder of Blair Maryland) allegedly poisoned her husband and then took over control of the village. She may have been the true first witch. The forest nearby frightened the natives and she may have thought to find a way to tap into the arcane powers in the forest. That may have been her undoing. Reports are far too scarce considering the time period and the lack of historical records, so it would lack believability for us to know the whole story there.

Scouring the 'Net for the story and seeing the movie and the book and hearing the soundtrack CD and all the other publicity from Haxan and Artisan Entertainment has been fun. I'm still under the impression the story is not over. There are still many more stories that can be told about this. If they play their cards right, the minds behind the Blair Witch can offer us many more tales for years to come, and I'm sure the Blair Witch will become a part of Culture Americana.


blairwitch

Post 8

JediSlider

Awww, now I don't understand why so many say it's real. Well, except the fact I'm one of the people that goes to convince people on message boards that it is, if they're too lazy to read anything. It's really been quite fun.


blairwitch

Post 9

JediSlider

One thing I loved was how in early July, when news of the film's upcoming release was spreading like wildfire among my friends, was how many people 'faintly recalled' hearing about three kids disappearing in the woods in 1994. The aura surrounding the film made people want to believe, and truly come to think it was. At this point, I was a bit fuzzy on the matter because even my friend's mom thought she recalled it! Odd... but part of why it was so wonderful to me. Opening day, waiting in line... Being there with people who truly needed to be there, like myself.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more