A Conversation for Dissent from Footinootism

Respect for a person v Respect for their views

Post 1

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")


I think there's actually not very much difference between the Footinootis and the Dissenters.

I don't support ad homenim arguments at all, but (to repost something I said in the thread that sprouted into Footinootism)....

I think people are entitled to respect and are entitled to their view. But I don't think it follows that they are entitled that their view be respected. I don't think it's unreasonable that people are challenged on their views, provided that their challenge is appropriate and polite.

There are occasions where people just argue themselves into an impasse, and this could be for a number of reasons. If this happens, it's acceptable just to shrug and say, well, I understand your view and your reasons for holding it, and I hope you understand mine too. It's possible to respect a view contrary to one's own if you think that there points in its favour and can understand why someone might hold that view.

I think that someone who puts forward a view or an opinion in a debating forum can reasonably be called upon to defend it against objections. If they cannot or will not defend it, or cling to it in the face of serious objections, they cannot still expect their view to be respected and to be thought to be of equal validity to other views. That's not to say that this would justify a *personal* attack though.

Sometimes the last refuge of someone whose view has come off second best is "well, I'm entitled to my view" and protesting about a lack of respect just because people disagree and are pushing the point. My view (which I am more than prepared to be challenged on) is that anyone who is serious about any given topic should actively seek out challenges to their views on that topic.

Otherwise what's the point of having a debate?


Respect for a person v Respect for their views

Post 2

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Hmm. When I first came to h2g2 I got a lot of flack for some humorous comments about certain religious views. I'm afraid that's still my stance. Disrespect for twaddle: Respect for the human rights of those espousing twaddle. The problem is...some people take disrespect for the twaddle as a personal attack. I can't see how I can be held responsible in such cases.

Nope - footnooti's a lovely idea - but we can't keep everyone happy all the time.


Respect for a person v Respect for their views

Post 3

azahar

Well quite, Otto. Agree with everything you said. And don't see any need for 'footinootiness' or any other silly 'nanny' rule thing to be placed upon how people choose to debate here.

az


Respect for a person v Respect for their views

Post 4

psychocandy-moderation team leader

>The problem is...some people take disrespect for the twaddle as a personal attack. I can't see how I can be held responsible in such cases.<

I have had the same problem here in the past. It's also frustrating when those same people have no problem whatsoever disrespecting another person in return for having had the nerve to question or disagree with the twaddle.

I also believe that any opinion or belief worth having is one worth backing up. I've found that people rarely get defensive or go to great pains to justify themselves when they know what they're talking about, and when they know what they're saying is accurate, true, or correct.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more