Dance in its Recent and Ancient Forms

0 Conversations

Ancient Dance
Prehistorically, which is rather a while ago, dance was not really very important. One cave man, for example, would not go off to the latest disco in the attempt to pull; it is more likely that he would go to his nearest neighbour's wife and pull (usually by the hair). As a form of worship, however, dance would have been used quite often. Picture a dirty-looking bloke stomping arould a campfire to summon something and I believe you'll see the resemblance between him and any bloke in Ibiza. The glassy stare, shaggy hair and wild arm movements ring a bell, do they not?
Modern Dancing
Over time, obviously, this wild movement would have been refined and made in time with a beat. Ballet is an example of dance at its finest - very limber people throwing each other around in an artistic manner. Of course, on Earth, dance has basically become a means of attracting the opposite sex. On other planets, however, it is used for torture. P'acredas, in the Torrewbuy system, is a prime example. Convicts are forced into a very crowded room where massively amplified drum beats are played until they stagger out and talk over the ringing in their ears. One flaw in this practice is that the race have actually evolved to enjoy this pasttime and now have no ears and six triple jointed legs.
Note: Weddings - the Exception
Weddings are the only places where bad dancing is lauded and applauded. Aged relatives are duty bound to drink too much and grab the person who is going to be most embarassed, usually their son/daughter, and whisk them around the dancefloor, shouting 'THIS is how you dance, sonny Jim, this is just like the old days'. Scary but true.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A116074

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more