Copyright infringement by having illegal copys of viruses on your system.

0 Conversations

European coucil has a meeting today 1-9-2003 about legislation of copyrights for software atoms.

The idea is that more than 20000 patent requests are to be validated for software routines. These routines should be payed for if used in a program or by use of a program.

I guess they will get any programmer mad if they allow these kind of patents. Up until now we worked to do our best not to use a copy of any program if the writer/ owner does not allow us to do this anyway ( !if you are any bit serious in programming ). By the time the atoms are copyrighted no program will be free of use of any of these routines and thereby can not be legal itself. This issue will remain if the request for the equation is honoured ( donated to the public domain by the very first program : '1=1' you will find it hardcoded in any switch ).

This way no program is legal by itself and therefore can be used by anyone as long as the code not is published in the public domain.

This brings us to the point we can not use any program anymore. A 'workable' alternative is ignoring anything about copyrights as these will not be workable at all. Or alltogether switch to using pure GNU ( stands for GNU Not Unix ) software.

Perhaps this is the reason for the full copylefted DebIan Distribution of Linux.

Will this lead to avoiding the start of your program for today, while the start routine has been copyrighted?

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1160713

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more