Grease - the Stage Musical

1 Conversation

Grease doesn't have a message ... it gives a flavour of being a teenager in the 50s - when rock'n'roll and putting grease on your hair were the most important things in life.
- David Gilmore, Director1

The majority of people who have heard of Grease, know it from the 1978 John Travolta/Olivia Newton-John film. However, Grease started out life as a musical and is still going strong as such. Grease came to life on 5 Febuary, 1971, when Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey staged an idea they had been working on in an experimental theatre in Chicago. From there it grew and grew, and Grease has since been performed all over the world, from Mexico (where they call it Vaselina) to South Africa, from Japan to Denmark.

Grease is set in a 1959 American high school, and got its name from the hair, food, and custom cars that were popular at the time, all of which involved huge amounts of grease.

The Characters

The main characters in Grease:

The T-Birds

The T-Birds are a group of guys who go to Rydell High School. They all wear leather jackets with the T-Birds logo on the back, and slick their hair into a quiff. They consider themselves to be the coolest guys in the school.

  • Danny - the leader of the T-Birds. He wears leather jackets, has his hair slicked into a quiff, and generally considers himself to be very cool. He loves Sandy but doesn't want to look like a nerd in front of his friends.
  • Kenickie - the main womaniser of the T-Birds. His main aim is to get his hands on a set of wheels.
  • Doody - is very shy, especially around girls. He keeps trying to ask Frenchy out but never quite manages it...
  • Roger - nicknamed 'Rump', as he is the school mooner.
  • Sonny - the 5th member of the T-Birds.

The Pink Ladies

The Pink Ladies is a group of girls at Rydell High who consider themselves the coolest girls in the school. They all wear pink cardigans, and they generally hang around with the T-Birds.

  • Sandy - the new girl in school. She is very naive - doesn't smoke, drink, or go all the way with boys. She joins the Pink Ladies, but never really fits in. She loves Danny but can't understand why he acts differently towards her when he is around his friends.
  • Rizzo - she has a very on/off relationship with Kenickie, and even thinks she may be pregnant by him at one stage. She is the leader, and the most wild, of the Pink Ladies.
  • Frenchy - is a dreamer, and not the sharpest tool in the shed. Her ambition is to become a beautician.
  • Jan - is constantly eating, and so has a weight problem and wears baggy clothes.
  • Marty - acts older than she is, and is having an on/off relationship with a sailor.

Other Characters

  • Teen Angel - a guardian angel dreamed up by Frenchy when she needs some advice.
  • Miss Lynch - a teacher at Rydell High.
  • Eugene - the nerd of Rydell. He is always picked on by the T-Birds because he isn't cool.
  • Cha Cha - a girl from a different school, who dates a member of the T-Birds' rival gang, the Flaming Dukes.
  • Vince Fontaine - a radio DJ and compare of the prom. He has the whitest teeth possible, spangly clothes, and talks like a typical radio DJ.
  • Patty - a cheerleader who wants to hang out with the Pink Ladies, but isn't cool enough.

The Storyline

The story portrayed in Grease is pretty simple. Sandy and Danny met over the summer at the beach, but they had to end their romance as they were both going to different schools after the holidays. However, plans have a tendency to change, and Sandy ends up going to Danny's school, Rydell High, after all. She presumes they will pick up where they left off at the beach, but Danny has an image to maintain, and so acts very different around his friends than he did when they were alone together. Sandy tries to forget about him (especially when she sees him with other girls) but she can't. When she hears the other girls making fun of her she decides on an image change, and confronts Danny in skin-tight black clothes. Danny loves it, and they get together and everyone lives happily ever after.

There are a few sub-plots in the musical, for example Frenchy quits school to go to beauty school, but then becomes a 'Beauty School Dropout' and is advised by her (imaginary) guardian angel to go back to school. Kenickie buys a run-down car but is convinced the T-Birds can turn it into 'Greased Lightning'. Danny goes to the Prom with Cha Cha, and they win the dance contest.

The Songs

It couldn't be a musical without songs2, and it is the songs that people usually think of when they think of Grease. The songs in the musical differ slightly from those in the film:

  • Sandy - Danny and Sandy
  • Grease Is The Word - Everybody
  • Summer Nights - The T-Birds and the Pink Ladies
  • Those Magic Changes - Doody
  • Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee - Rizzo
  • Greased Lightnin' - Kenickie
  • Rydell Fight Song - The Pink Ladies
  • Mooning - Roger and Jan
  • We Go Together - Everybody
  • Shakin' At The High School Hop - Everybody
  • It's Raining On Prom Night - Sandy and Jan
  • Born To Hand Jive - Everybody
  • Hopelessly Devoted To You - Sandy
  • Beauty School Dropout - Teen Angel
  • Sandy - Danny
  • Rock And Roll Party Queen - Doody and Roger
  • There Are Worse Things I Could Do - Rizzo
  • Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee (reprive) - Sandy
  • You're The One That I Want - Danny and Sandy
  • Finale - Everybody

The Cast

The cast of Grease has included many people who have gone on to be household names. John Travolta started out being chaperoned by his older sister when he was part of a Grease tour at the age of 17, and later went on to play the part of Danny in the film version. Richard Gere was unknown before he played Danny in London, after understudying the part on Broadway. Elaine Paige has played Sandy, and Ian Kelsey, Craig McLachlan, Darren Day, Luke Goss, Steven Houghton and Shane Richie have all taken on the role of Danny at one time or another. Even Su Pollard has appeared in Grease!

Changes

Like most productions, Grease has changed over time. One of the main changes is in the song list - songs have been added/removed over time. A lot of these changes took place after the film was released, as people wanted to hear the same songs in the musical that were in the film. As a result of this, the songs 'Rydell Alma Mater' (and a parody of the same song), 'Freddy, My Love', 'Alone At The Drive In Movie', and 'All Choked Up' were removed, and 'Grease Is The Word', 'Hopelessly Devoted', 'Sandy', and 'You're The One That I Want' were added. Other changes include that the T-Birds were originally called 'The Burger Palace Boys', as this is where they hang out, and slight changes to the dialogue have been made. There is also a character called 'Johnny Casino' (real name Clarence) in the original production, who is a wannabe greaser, and sings 'Born To Hand Jive', however he no longer appears in the West End version.

1David Gilmore is the director of the verson of Grease that was playing in London when this entry was written.2Music and lyrics by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey, additional songs by B. Gibb, J. Farrar, L. St Louis and S. Simon.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1154620

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more