A Conversation for Numbers

Numbers

Post 1

John G. Vainstone

Utter pants.


Numbers

Post 2

John G. Vainstone

I'm very pleased that so many people have bothered to reply to my comments on this article. I still think the article is utter pants, so don't think I am going to change my views just because everybody refuses to discuss how bad this article is.


Numbers

Post 3

HippieChick

Would you care to share with the class why you believe this article is utter pants?


Numbers

Post 4

John G. Vainstone

If you have to ask, you'll never know.

Feel free to click on my name (it's actually only a pseudonym) and go through to my mathematical user pages. Go to the user pages at the bottom, the forum entries are old and have not been edited.

You may then liken my articles to as many different types of under-garments as you see fit.

Yours in infinite affection,

John G. Vainstone (it's still only a pseudonym)


Numbers

Post 5

HippieChick

I'd already taken the liberty to look at your pages, but I don't believe that simply insulting the quality is likely to be worth much in the scheme of things. If you sincerely find some fault in my entry, please be a bit more specific, maybe it can be fixed. And lame cop-outs like "If you don't know now, you'll never know," don't count.

If you're going to take the time to bother posting a forum message in response to my pages, please make it worthwhile. The forums are not set up for insults.

If you'd like some advice on your own pages, I'd say this: While some of your ideas are funny, you'll notice that most articles that are getting accepted have at least a grain of truth and aren't merely invented stories. And I fail to see what's funny about a little girl getting beaten with a belt.


Numbers

Post 6

John G. Vainstone

The quality of your article was actually not bad, however I have little else to write about.

The articles do have a grain of truth in them--the formula for the circumference of a circle, the formula for the volume of a sphere, Pythagoras' theorem (you could work out how far you had travelled). I hope the articles present this information in an amusing and informative manner.

I noticed your article was very accurate as well.


Numbers

Post 7

HippieChick

Well, they didn't reject my entry anyway. I don't think your entries are all that bad, but I think it'd be a little more palatable if you spent a little less time on the invented stories and a little more information, however hidden. For instance, I like the story about the girl and her father's belt, but it'd be just as funny if you cut it off before people started hitting her with it.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more