Monster Garage

0 Conversations

MONSTER GARAGE

Monster Garage is a cable television show currently in it's second season as of 17July2003 airing on the Discovery Channel. It is a "reality show" where each week, a different team of individuals attempt to modify a vehicle to meet a challenge, which is typically unknown to the team members until the first day of filming. 1

The "build team" for the show must follow three (3) rules:

  • When built, the monster must appear to be "stock",2
  • The team is given a budget of $3000 for parts, and3
  • The time limit: on the first day, they design, for the next five they build, and on the seventh day - they race.
  • If the team succeeds and gets the project completed on time, working, and within the budget, each member of the team gets a high-quality set of MAC Tools.

    Beyond these simple rules, anything goes - from stealing parts off other vehicles to machining their own from scratch, and everything in-between.

    The Host

    Jesse James4 and the announcers are the only consistent threads to the show other than "The Rules" listed above. Jesse has been a parts fabricator, Navy certified welder, and designer for West Coast Choppers, his own motorcycle shop, since he was 16 or so.

    In interviews, Jesse has made it clear he dislikes the idea of deliberately staging things for the benefit of television, goofy ideas from producers and executives, and when asked about the first Discovery Channel special, Motorcycle Mania, that made him a "big television celebrity" he sarcastically said, "Really? Is that what I am?? [and after a pause] You know, here's the thing: if all the television cameras and everything went away, you know what I'd be doing?!? Still making motorcycles."

    Jesse appeared on The Late Show with David Letterman to launch the second season of Monster Garage, and the concept car was a conversion of a hot dog cart into a drag racer (Episode#19). Because the car was shown on "The Late Show" BEFORE the new season aired, it was fairly obvious the first project was a success. However, because most of the monster cars are not legitimately licensed or state inspected, they were asked "not to go over 40 mph" when demonstrating the car for David Letterman by New York City officials. "I'm not going to do it, then. Where's the fun in going 40?" said Jesse.

    On a personal note, I first saw Monster Garage during a marathon that ran on New Year's Eve of 2001/2002. It was an episode where they converted a MAC Tool truck into "The Ultimate Delivery" truck (Episode#9) by building a trebuchet, catapult, and air-cannon into the truck. Jesse said that he "...wanted to paint the truck blood red, rip off some doll's heads, and glue them to the side of the truck and deliver...fear -- to whoever wants some."smiley - biggrin That's probably when I became a fan of the show.

    Jesse sports MANY tattoo's on both his arms, as well as a hilarious "Pay Up, Sucker" tattoo on his palm specifically for the purpose of humiliating people who lose bets to him.

    Previous Monsters

    Past MONSTER GARAGE Challenges not mentioned elsewhere in this entry:

  • '93 Ford Explorer into Hydraulic Garbage Truck: White Trash (Episode#1)
  • '96 Lincoln Limosine into Firetruck (Episode#2)
  • '98 VW Beetle Sedan into Swamp Buggy (Episode#3)
  • '90 Ford Mustang into High Speed Lawnmower: The Switchblade (Episode#4)
  • '96 Chevy Impala SS into a Zamboni: Freezer Burn (Episode#5)
  • '84 Porsche 944 into "Ultimate Golf-Ball Collector": The De-Ranged Picker (Episode#6)
  • School Bus into Pontoon Boat: The SKOOL Bus (Episode#8)
  • '95 Geo Tracker into mobile launchpad for a Hot Air balloon (Episode#10)
  • '97 Ford F-150 into the Nut-Shaker (Episode#11)
  • Kyle Petty NASCAR into high-powered Street-Sweeper (Episode#12)
  • '83 Ford E-350 Ambulance modified into a Wheelie Car (Episode#13)
  • '02 PT Cruiser into Woodchipper: The West Coast Chipper (Episode#14)
  • '02 Mini-Cooper into Snowmobile (Episode#15)5
  • '68 Ford Bronco into Rock Crawler (Episode#20)
  • '03 Toyota Tundra into a mobile motorcycle launching platform: The Tundrinator6 (Episode#22)
  • '97 Ford Ranchero into a Bucking Bull: The Low Bull-Rider (Episode#23)
  • Corvette into Mud-bogger: The Slingray (Episode#24)
  • Jesse looks back on Monster Garage (Episode#25)
  • El Camino into Figure 8 Racer: The Hell-Camino(Episode#26)
  • Announcers

    The show typically airs for (50) fifty minutes of garage work with an announcer narrating the action of the build team highlights, followed by a (10) ten minutes of "the race" which is called by "The Big Schwag" and Frankie Whiteside. These guys are hilarious, and could make a grocery list or a phone book sound exciting. They typically spout Lots of bad puns7 and work themselves into a lather calling the action of the race.

    Mantra's


    The show is filled with sayings, known as "Monster Garage Mantras". Some of the better ones....
    1.) Disco Sucks
    2.) If it's dangerous, and under pressure - Kick it.

    Monster Phenomenon

    Lots of bikers and wrench-monkeys are fans of the show, and in addition to purchasing t-shirts and other items directly from West Coast Choppers, a fan-group called The Chopperdogs, and a nationwide chain called "Hot Topic" carries West Coast Chopper gear.

    Turns out the producers of the show LIKE to see conflicts among team members, as this makes for "interesting television." Several teams have accused producers of deliberately setting the stage for conflict for the benefit of the home audience. There is frequent cursing, and at least twice team members have threatened to beat each other, though we have yet to see team members come to blows.

    It is my own, deeply held belief that this show will ingrain the phrase "FREEBIE" (Zip! ZERO! Nada!) into the collective unconsicious of our society. One of the downsides to the show is that as it's popularity has increased, more companies are willing to donate parts for free, giving later teams a considerable advantage over the first few "build teams" who had to scrounge for every dime. (Again, this DOES usually make for cooler cars, but it's slightly unfair.)

    While most people consider the garage to be a "Males-Only" club, the show has gone to great lengths to show that girls are just as competent in the garage. There was an "all-girl show"8 and there have been several shows featuring very competent welders that were girls.

    Tom Prewitt of Damon's Motorcycle Creations typically does the finishing paint job on the Monster Garage creations. He makes some dazzling color schemes, and paints some of the most fantastic designs I've ever seen. He has stated that he uses more "metal flake" paint on one Monster car than he would normally use on three or four "regular" cars.

    Failure

    smiley - steamFailure is not an option in Monster garage: Every team does what they can to complete the project, and only two teams in (24) twenty-four builds have failed. These failures are "The Grim Ripper" (Episode#7), a hearse converted into a car-crusher, and "The Doom Buggy" (Episode#17) which was a Mazda RX7 converted into a sand rail.smiley - wah9 Each of the failures were demolished in spectacular fashion, the hearse by being crushed (with a Propane tank on the seat just for kicks that made a huge explosion,) and the Doom-buggy was shredded into smouldering pieces by a Dillion mini-gun. Jesse says that he keeps a piece of each failed monster on his bedside, "to remind me that failure sucks."

    Monster Garage FansiteThe Discovery Channel WebsiteDamon's Motorcycle CreationsThe Late Show with David Letterman
    1The exception would be when a "monster" will require extra work that couldn't possibly be completed in the time allotted, i.e. when "Steve" was to build a pipe organ in the Suburban/Wedding Chapel (Episode#16), he was informed in advance to prepare wiring schematics for the organ.2"Stock" means it should appear to have come straight from a car dealership. This isn't possible due to some of the challenges, such as the "Dude-monster" (Episode#18), a RV/Skatepark Half-pipe, but they keep as close to the original vehicle as possible.3A monster garage tradition holds that when tearing down a vehicle, any loose change found is added to the budget. Twice, ingenious teams have sold items on ebay or to parts dealers to obtain extra cash.4who's Uncle is directly related to the "real" outlaw Jesse James5Also featuring Kyle Petty, this was the first Brand New car used in a Monster build.6tied to the release of the Terminator 3 movie7When Jesse built a wood chipper in a PT Cruiser, they yell "Jesse's sporting a woody!" In another episode, they refer to the other mod-bog racers as "Mean Mudder-Truckers" several times.8The Buick/Demolition Derby Car (Episode#21)9The Doom Buggy actually ran fine, but even with a NO2 system lacked the power to win the race against other sand rails.

    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Conversations About This Entry

    There are no Conversations for this Entry

    Entry

    A1113111

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    Written and Edited by

    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more