A Conversation for Warhammer 40,000 - the Strategy Game

warhammer?

Post 1

dim12trav

Isn't that the game that has changed the rules so much that people end up spending hundreds of dollars/pounds just to remain in the game. The game where hundreds of hours are spent carefully painting figures and then finding they must be repainted differently because of rules change that were not adequately explained when the figures were bought.

My own son participates in Mage Knight and plays at a storefront that also shares Warhammer stuff. Whiz Kids has done similar things to Mage Knight and I have just about had it with "Dad can you buy me more stuff, I just have to have this (xyz) thing." It seems that all of those games are destined for the scrap heap by whatever new thing comes along sooner or later. It's is just an excuse for parents to buy things for their kids. Collectible baloney, checkout the ebay values and how far down they have come over the last few months.


warhammer?

Post 2

The Apprentice

As such, Warhammer (and associated Citadel-type figures) are not in the same league as MageKnight. Yes, you may well be inclined to paint them, but there is no rules system associated rigidly with the appearance and colour of the model - so, no you wouldn't need to change any if Games Workshop released a new edition.

In essence, Warhammer hasn't changed THAT much over the last 20 years. Yes, it has been through about 6 editions in that time, but there are strands of similarity throughout and if you bought a hundred figures in 1983, you'd still be able to use them now under the current rules.

I appreciate what Games Workshop has done for the hobby. White Dwarf was a brave and fresh publication for it's first 120 or so issues... and then it became a house-organ. Citadel miniatures have always been on the forefront - and only very recently has anyone come close in producing the same quality of models for science-fiction and fantasy wargaming.

There is much to say of Warhammer 40K, both good and bad. And when I get a moment, I'll try and say it...

smiley - erm

The Apprentice
smiley - scientist


warhammer?

Post 3

krootshaper

sorry i dont agree i spent a few weeks to save up for a starter army and i painted a army that under the new rules( as far as i have read ) dosnt include any changes to painting aaparently that hasnt even been done and wont be as it is a army that is personal to you you can paint it as you like
sorry if this sounds rude
kroot shaper(another warhammer army)


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Warhammer 40,000 - the Strategy Game

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more