Free Online Massively Multiplayer Games

1 Conversation

Massively Multiplayer Online games (MMOGs) involve many people from across the globe, all coming together to play, sometimes in teams.

This entry is about free online multiplayer games, therefore games which you have to pay a subscription in order to play, will not be covered here.

Some games, like the ones you find on Shockwave are online games, but again will not be covered in this entry, as although some of these games allow more than one player, they are not massively multiplayer.

There are thousands of free multiplayer online games - some of which can be found at the Multiplayer Online Games Directory, which also features a monthly chart.

Types of Online Games

The most common type of Online game is the strategy type. They come in many forms, but most are the same deep down, just with different settings (Future, past, present, other worlds etc). These games generally involve being in charge of an area (such as a planet, or a country) and orginising the infrastructure of that area. You have to interact with the other players, either in diplomacy or war, in order to advance in the game.

Play By E-mail (PBEM) has been going on for a very long time. PBEM usually invloves RP (Role Playing - playing as a fictional character either you made up, or was made up for you), and the basics of this are covered below. However, there are a few strategy titles, but they can be slow, and are tick-based (see below).

Text-based games (eg MUDs (Multi-User Dungeons)) are also very popular. They are usually Role-Playing games, which involves creating a character (sometimes you can choose the race1 or class/guild2 of your character, as well as the appearance) and then running around killing things to gain experience, so you can be even better at killing things (or doing your job).

There are other types of massively multiplayer games around, such as sport simulators (eg team management games, fantasy leagues...) and action games, but these aren't as popular as the above types.

Different Types of Timing

  • Real-time - Anything you do is done straight away. You can do as much as you like, usually when you like.
  • Turn-based - During periods of inactivity, or at certain times, you gain turns which you use to do certain things which happen straight away.
  • Tick-Based - Every so often (this can be anything from a few minutes to a day, or even longer) another tick goes by, and you get another chance to do something. You are limited to what you can do, and then you have to wait for the next tick before doing anything else. Sometimes what you do takes place straight away, sometimes at the end of the tick.

Software

Many games are playable just in your browser, they require no plugins and there is no software to download (some games require Java compatability though). Some games, however, require you to download some software and install it, just like a normal game (but usually much smaller). Some games require a plugin to your browser - Shockwave, Flash, 3dGroove, or even custom programmes that the makers of the game made. Whatever is needed is usually stated on the homepage of the game, and links are generally provided to sites from where the required downloads can be obtained.

Examples

  • TVSOnline - Also hosts 'It's War!', TVSOnline is a superb strategy/RPG, team-based, browser-based, tick-based. You play in a space-ship fighting for your team, earning points as you fight, which add to your total. When your total reaches a certain amount you level up - this means your statistics are improved, which makes you stronger. There is a turn every 3 hours 24/7.
  • Fatelords - Tick-based (15 minutes), browser-based strategy. Restarts every so often, currently in the second round. Very good, very polished space strategy game. You take over planets, micro-manage the resources and the buildings, then build up an army to take over your enemies planets. The person with the highest points (determined by planets, military power, resources etc.) at the end of the round wins.
  • Wulfram 2 - Real-time, action, software based, 3d first person, team-based (but on the spot). Dated graphics, and a steep learning curve defines this awesome tank fighting game. Your have a base which you must defend, while destroying the other teams base, to win, you must destroy all the enemies repair pads (where dead people respawn) and kill all the team members. Great fun, you have the option to attack, defend or build up the base. Set in the future, your tanks hover and you have a variety of weapons at your disposal.

Where can I find more?

Check these directories out:

  • MPOGD.com - Big, commercial, has a lot, but beware, some of the games are pay-to-play. Has a monthly chart which the players vote for.
  • Game2k.com - A one stop directory for all games, but has a section for online games. Some free, some pay-to-play.
  • Multiplayer.com - May seem quiet, but updates now and then. It has a lot of games, again some pay-to-play, however it doesn't tell you which ones.
  • Top Web Games - Has a weekly chart but not a big list of games.
  • Gamesdex - Has loads of games, but they are difficult to find due to the awkward layout. Has a chart, but it isn't very accurate.
1Such as human, elf, dwarf etc., each of which has different characteristics2ie the 'job' of your character - thief, druid, wizard etc

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1052515

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more