A Conversation for Birdlife Volunteer Guidelines

Digital camera PC card reader

Post 1

Researcher 228326

Hi all,
I guess a few of the volunteers on the voyage will be using digital cameras, and I'm just wondered about the possibility of getting a USB flash-card reader hooked up to the yacht PC. This would allow good/interesting photos taken that day to be downloaded to the computer for use on the internet, etc. An alternative of course would be to use the Nikon 5700 already on board to download the compact flash cards through (if this is going to already have a USB connection to the PC).

Anyway, just a thought. Thanks for this amazing opportunity and look forward to meeting you all....
Cheers
Brent


Digital camera PC card reader

Post 2

Nick.Grainger (AU)

Hi Brent,

Welcome -

Sorry we don't have a Flash Card reader at this stage - nice idea but we're just coming to the end of our budget. Maybe you can bring one? I could arrange a port for it OK

Certainly I plan to download pics from my camera every day to the PC, but I'll just do it via a USB cable. A USB port should be available for downloading from other cameras, or yes we could use my camera.

Our rather slow access speed to the Internet will mean we can only upload small files whilst at sea, but we can live around that I think. Certainly we will be able to burn files to CD for safe storage.

Nick


Digital camera PC card reader

Post 3

Nick.Grainger (AU)

Brent,

Just thinking about this a bit more - I think it's a good idea and they aren't very expensive - it is probably the easiest way of enabling a variety of cameras to download images.

I'll see what I can do.

Nick


Digital camera PC card reader

Post 4

Researcher 228326

Great!

I think it will save having cameras rattling around whilst downloading, and as you say will allow a variety of cameras to be used 'through' it.....
Cheers
Brent


Digital camera PC card reader

Post 5

Nick.Grainger (AU)

Found a '5 in 1' card reader in a sale - it reads CompactFlash cards, Smart Media, IBM MicroDrive, Secured Digital, and Multimedia.... Not the latest model of course and doesn't read Memory Stick but heck it only cost AU$29...

I just tried out the CompactFlash and Smart Media on W2K machine here and it works just fine. I'll bring it.

Nick


Digital camera PC card reader

Post 6

Nick.Grainger (AU)

Found a '5 in 1' card reader in a sale - it reads CompactFlash cards, Smart Media, IBM MicroDrive, Secured Digital, and Multimedia.... Not the latest model of course and doesn't read Memory Stick but heck it only cost AU$29...

I just tried out the CompactFlash and Smart Media on W2K machine here and it works just fine. I'll bring it.

Nick


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Birdlife Volunteer Guidelines

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more