A Conversation for Kath and Kim

Peer Review: A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 1

Daravak

Entry: Kath and Kim - A1047359
Author: Daravak - U226654

A summary of the Australian comedy television show 'Kath and Kim'. I want constructive criticism, please, so don't worry about being too harsh or anything.


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 2

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Hi there!

Sorry it took a little while for someone to respond to your entry -- sometimes one "slips through the net" a bit.

Anyway, I think is an *excellent* start on an entry. The only thing I think this entry really needs is more of a description of what the TV show was _about_. What were some typical episodes? Running gags? Common themes? Recurring jokes?

smiley - cheers
Mikey


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 3

Daravak

All right, thanks a lot for the tips.


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 4

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Are you planning on working on this one some more? If you are, you can post a note here when you have added some bits, and people will come by and let you know what they think of the revised version.

smiley - cheers
Mikey


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 5

Daravak

Oh, OK, thanks Mikey. Yeah, I've done a little bit of work on it, you guys tell me what you think. The only problem is, I don't know how familiar many of you will be with the show.


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 6

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

You should assume that a large chunk of the people reading the entry have never seen or heard of the show. smiley - biggrin h2g2 has an international audience, as well as an audience that spans many age groups.

Hope that helps some. I'll take another look at it and let you know what I think when I get back from my vacation later this week.

smiley - cheers
Mikey


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 7

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Hmmmm.... This is definitely much improved over the original version, but I still feel as if something is missing. I'm not entirely sure what, though -- any other folks in PR have a comment to share?

smiley - mouse


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 8

Researcher PSG

Hello

Well just a couple of comments

- how about having character name followed by the actor name in brackets rather than people having to hunt around in the text for the played by bit.

- An episode listing with transmission dates would be nice.

- And possibly footnotes explaining Dippity-Bix, Fat-free Frouches and Tiny Teddies in footnotes as I have no idea what these food items would even look like.

Researcher PSG


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 9

Daravak

OK, thanks. I guess in some ways I'm thinking from an Australian point of view - I've never met anyone who doesn't know what a Tiny Teddy is, lol. But great advice.


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 10

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

A lot of food items exist internationally, but have different names from country to country, even though they're still made by the same company. I wonder if your Tiny Teddies are the same thing we call Teddy Grahams here?

Anyway, that's why it's generally easiest to avoid mentioning food/drink items by brand name, unless it's really central to the entry.

smiley - mouse


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 11

Researcher PSG

I'm afraid to say Teddy Grahams are still a mystery to the poor confused brit.

To be honest the only australian brand name I know is Tim-Tam and I wouldn't guarentee everyone here knowing that.

I agree brand names can cause problems, but they can also be cultural items, so a footnote is better than omission.

Researcher PSG


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 12

Daravak

Alright, I'll put some footnotes in.


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 13

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Any progress on this one, Daravak?

It's so close to being ready to go in, I would hate to see it end up in limbo now.

smiley - cheers
Mikey


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 14

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Gummy bears I think, PSG.

smiley - ale


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 15

Researcher PSG

Really? I thought gummie bears was an american name, so it would be called that in the US?

Researcher PSG


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 16

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Oh. Maybe not then smiley - laugh

smiley - ale


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 17

Researcher PSG

I only know from that Simpsons episode with the gummie venus de milo (a phrase I never thought I would be typingsmiley - smiley)

Researcher PSG


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 18

Researcher PSG

Hello Daravak

how is this coming?

Researcher PSG (Worried a potential good entry is in limbo)


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 19

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi Daralak! This is a great entry. smiley - smiley

There are a few points that need attention.

1. Some terminology needs explaining:

empty-nester
TAFE
cardio

2. There some spelling mistakes:

her fiancee --> her fiancé
chaso --> chaos
stick on bra --> stick-on bra

3. Since you give the actors' names in brackets, you don't need to repeat them in the paragraphs about the characters.

4. Punctuation - You don't need full stops after the titles of the episodes.

Well Done!
smiley - ok


A1047359 - Kath and Kim

Post 20

Researcher 242888

Kath and Kim is a quintissentially Australian show about a mother and daughter who live in the suburbs of Melbourne. It takes a not so gentle dig at the Australian suburban housewife stereotype. To an Australian it is both hilariously funny and scarily close to the bone as we can see little bits of our own families in it. You might want to describe it a s a very downmarket Ab Fab


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more