How to Make Lip-gloss

1 Conversation

Don't you just hate it when you reach the last few millimetres of your favourite lipstick tube, especially when the particular shade is a limited edition colour, which you no longer can get your hands on? And lip-gloss (or balm) is indeed a girl's best friend and one of the most useful things that you can have in your handbag. It replenishes dry lips, soothes chapped and broken skin, and helps to give a tasty kiss.

However, sometimes it's so impossible to find more than a few shades to suit you and even more difficult to part with the cash for a new tube when you've still got enough for a few more weeks in the old one. This is why making your lip-gloss is a fun and useful alternative to add shine, gloss, glitz and glamour, which won't take long to create.

This is a really short and easy recipe to follow and is great for kids who are just starting to experiment with makeup.

You Will Need

  • -An old lipstick (or a cheap new one)
  • Plastic Containers1
  • 1 rounded spoon or 20 grams of Vaseline (petroleum jelly)
  • A mixing bowl or Tupperware box
  • A teaspoon spoon
  • A dessert spoon
  • A Knife

Method

  1. Put a rounded teaspoonful Vaseline into a mixing bowl2.

  2. Open your lipstick and using a knife scrape the last of the shade into the bowl, remembering to get inside the end of the tube to get as much of the colour out as possible. It is also a good idea of open the tube fully to get the inner tube out and allow you to scrap out as much colour as possible.

  3. Using the back of a dessert spoon mix the lippy and the Vaseline together until there aren't any lumps of colour making the smooth consistency lumpy.

  4. Whilst the mixture is still in the bowl this is the point where you can add other ingredients such as another lipstick with a glittery look3, glitter, small sequins and if you want a taste rather than Vaseline you can add food flavourings such as mint essence. You simply add the extra ingredients of your choosing and mix well with the rest of your mixture.

  5. Decant the mixture into your containers, filling to the top of your container and smoothing over with the edge of your knife so it lies flush with the top of the lid4.

  6. Wipe the edges of your container so that they're not greasy and replace the lid of the container.

  7. Refrigerate for at least a couple of hours. You can use the mixture straight away, but by refrigerating it means your mix is slightly more solid and easier to use.

Once your lip-gloss/balm has been refrigerated it is ready to use and should last as long as any normal lip balm. Pay attention to sell-by-dates on Vaseline and food essences. If bought new they should last a few years, up to their sell-by date. However if they've been in your cupboard for the past two years check them just in case.

1You can buy plastic containers small enough to hold lip-gloss or balm in most shops that sell cosmetics. They are usually for decanting larger bottles when travelling but work equally well. Alternatively you could wash out and recycle old lip balm containers.2You can add Vaseline as you go depending on the amount of lipstick you have left but a desert spoon is a good basis.3You can buy lipsticks called Iridescent Top Coats, which have large quantities of mica (glitter) but very little extra colour, alternatively you could use a fine grain glitter.4You don't have to fill the container this full, but it makes it easier and makes it look nicer if you're giving it to someone as a gift.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1041274

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more