A Conversation for Sandman

Morpheus

Post 1

Lochangel

Did you know that Morpheus was the name of the greek god of dreams and the origin of the word Morphine.

I have just started to read Stardust again for the third time - Gaiman's imagination is stunning. But what really gets me is how his stories affect your life - I have a raven that comes and sits on my balcony in the morning and squawks at me.


Morpheus

Post 2

Zeke

A delightful part of the Sandman is the names. Although what Daniel says in the Wake pretty much goes against this, I've always thought of "Morpheus" as a more accurate description of his function. It all goes towards Destruction's excellent Two-sided coin speech, which tosses some big hints about the endless. Dream defines dreams, but also reality. Destiny also represents freedom.

Notice, this is mainly true of the older 3. Or, if Destruction hadn't abandoned his realms, probably 4. Anyway, this posting is already getting pretty confused, but here's an example...

The Endless don't like to call Death "Death". In fact, I don't think they ever call her that in the series. Because it's so inaccurate of her function. In one issue, we got a much more accurate reference to her name, "Terminus" - (s)he who walks the boundries. She defines mortality.

Et cetera, et cetera. I'd continue, but I've had a very hard time following my own train of thought! Ugh...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more