A Conversation for Console Wars of the Second Generation

For info...

Post 1

David St. Hubbins - Keeper Of Quality Footware

The Sega Mega Drive was called the 'Genesis' in the US. Great article.


For info...

Post 2

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

smiley - ta Some people hate this thing, though.


For info...

Post 3

David St. Hubbins - Keeper Of Quality Footware

I know, I noticed. Don't worry about it or let it put you off. It's very easy to criticise someone elses work but much harder to come up with something original of your own.


For info...

Post 4

Hoovooloo

"It's very easy to criticise someone elses work but much harder to come up with something original of your own"

It's very easy to bang out an article without doing the research required to make it accurate, too.

I've not had too much trouble coming up with something original of my own... 27 Edited Entries so far, if you only count the ones with my name on them alone. A578388

And finally, for the record, I wasn't criticising the author or his work per se. There was a good entry here on the Sega/Nintendo/Sony/XBox wars. The criticism was that it was titled "Console Wars" and didn't cover the first one, the one that set the tone for all the others, it got some very recent history wrong, and more to the point, managed to get through Peer Review and be picked as Editors Choice without having any of this corrected.

My problem is not with the author or even this entry in particular, it's with the PROCESS. The author (I assume) did the best he could. The process failed him, firstly for not spotting those errors and correcting them, and even worse, by putting this entry in the "Editors Choice" slot, which drew more attention than it might otherwise have got.

I agree, you shouldn't let the criticism put you off - but you *should* take on board that if you're going to write for the Edited Guide, you should check your facts, because it's clear from this experience that nobody else is going to do it for you. smiley - erm

H.


For info...

Post 5

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

Yeah, I know what you mean, though the entry >was< a lot worse when it just went in. Also, I don't mean to blame him, but most of the oldest stuff was what Auberias told me. I plan on submitting an update to this entry in about a year, and will be sure to take your info aboard. smiley - ta


For info...

Post 6

Auberius

And I didn't get author credit! (Is it possible you meant U216067 (i.e., me!) and not U216087, who is credited?)

I'm only really your guy for C64 and Game Gear, I'm not quite old enough to get into the really early stuff (certainly not the early consoles).


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more