Corner of Chaos

1 Conversation

THE CORNER OF CHAOS

The Mighty Boosh

Come with us now on a time and journey through time and space

To the world of The Mighty Boosh

Being such a visually humerous comedy, deriving much of its humour from the main two actors - Noel Fielding and Julian Barrat - taking on most of the roles, it was hard to imagine how The Mighty Boosh would work on stage and how it would cross over. The answer: cheek-achingly funnily.

Before the TV show there is a small piece, no longer than five minutes, where the two protagonists explain the show and do a variety of sketches. On the stage this was extended to a good half hour of hilarity, warming the audience up - not that they needed to, the applause both received just by walking on stage amounted to probably two minutes - and getting them in the mood for all things Boosh. Even the annoying prat near me who had the need to laugh nine times louder and longer than everyone around him as well as shouting out everything that had just been said and ruining half the jokes - though he did get his just deserts at the end when the man sitting behind him whacked him with a book - could not deter from this overwhelmingly good rendition of the show which featured pretty much everything you'd want.

After the first half hour of introduction the plot begins and it is soon made pretty obvious, by the presence of the Tundra Dance, that there will not be that many new ideas in the show, all the better for it for Booshians, though. The first act alludes to almost every joke you'd want from The Boosh: from the song Electro-Boy to the cockney Hitcher, as well as a lot of audience interaction. The second act, thankfully tones it down a bit because I was on the border of stomach cramps and cheek aches from laughing so hard and clapping so loud.

As jazz-maverick Howard Moon and mod-king Vince Noir (the main characters of Barrat and Fielding, respectively) go in search of the Egg of Mantumbi they encounter even more favourites, such as the Parka jacket, the simplistically cheerful moon and the Dream Shamen. All of them are assumed completely tongue-in-cheek as the fast costume changes mean a lot of sloppily applied props and outfits; but as they fall apart, along with the plot and the lines, the self-mocking protagonists invite you to laugh even harder as they engage in a one-up-manship to stop each other performing properly. For all Boosh fans it is an absolute must see, for people who haven't seen it, much of the humour will be lost but it is still freshly funny enough to be worth it. Fun for all the family, well all the family who don't mind a fair bit of
swearing and the evil cockney Hitcher telling the audience what he does with the stumps of decapitated heads: 'A concept that BBC Three didn't quite get'.

Sailing along on a perspex scene

Crystal moccasins, bionic jeans

I am Electro-Boy; I am Electro-Girl

The Corner of Chaos Archive

Tony2Times

09.03.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A9967765

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more