wr1t3r5 610ck 1

0 Conversations

Writers block one, Editors rebound two.

In view of recent efforts to resurface the car park and the men's loo (for very different reasons), the Muddle Manglement have decided that rather than encouraging cold submissions, we should offer a cold shoulder (from which animal, I haven't yet learned) to aspiring and perspiring young and hitherto unbroadcast writers so that they will stop pestering us and subsequently go away.

Suggestions from the service entrance complaint box that the undesirables be offered some sort of one-way tropical or northical cruise have been rejected by the Upper Manglement as that sounds too much like what they awarded themselves with in exchange for estimates of increased productivity last quarter.

Seriously, now, then, how can you increase productivity in a radio station, short of victory gardens in the window boxes or the composting toilet, um, compository?
....*....
*

Sorry, that fellow no longer works for us.

As he should have been saying, under the guise of a kind of accomodatory guidance programme of sorts, a type of orientation for the directionless, if you will,

the Muddle Manglement have essayed to have an semi-expert in Writer's Block to visit our studios and give a lecture on about just how the desirous would go about acheiving such a wonderful state of mind...as that.

Which leads to the plot of this evening's programme: "Writer's Block: How to get it and what to do with it when you do".

Brought to you by that esteemed blocker of writers and lyricists for fifty years running and twenty-five kicking, Dr. Pleides T. Florn!

SFX: scattered cheers and spring showers, declining in the east toward dusk.


Dr. P.T.F.:

Thank you. Much appreciated. Marvelous.
Put a sock in it. Thanks, Mum. You can go now.

We find ourselves in an age in which one soon realizes that anyone with a computer or a typewriter or a vaguely sharp pencil imagines themselves to be a 'Writer'.

To be fair, the media and the education system have perpetuated the myth that anyone can become a Writer by dint of learning to manipulate letters in a vaguely reminiscent manner.

Dickens arranged letters in a certain order and now he is remembered well beyond his death for that arrangement.

Kipling flung words about on the printed page and is lauded for that flinging.

Various commentators and reporters in newspapers and magazines tot up characters in the English alphabet on a a daily, weekly and monthly basis and they are known and paid for this ability.

Thus, the thinking goes, anyone who can do likewise is thus a candidate for similar notoriety and a paycheck.

Nay, dear listeners, nay, I say.


This is not strictly true.

Everyone who sits down to put pen to paper is not a Writer.


Everyone who cranks out a littered ream and calls it a novel is not a Writer.


Everyone who actually gets published for darkening a white sheet of foolscap is not a Writer.


Everyone who actually gets paid for pounding a poor defenseless keyboard for 627 pages and then gets a movie option and possibly a movie gets made from their poundage is not a Writer.


Nay, dear listeners, nay, I say.


This is not so.

A Writer is what other Writers call people like themselves.

If you are not one of them, then you are not a Writer.

You are a scribbler, a typist, a word processor, but not a Writer.

You can scribble, type, process to your little heart's content, but you will never be a Writer until another Writer says so.

I am a Writer and I know.

Other Writers have been saying so and so about me for years.

So, if you suddenly find yourself having trouble scribbling, typing or processing, do not accuse yourself of suffering from 'Writer's block.'

Only Writers get that, mostly from thinking about all the people who aren't Writers getting their paycheck or getting the book contract that rightfully belongs to a Writer, or a movie being made that shows absolutely no Writing behind it...

In other words, if you find yourself having a difficulty forming characters into words, words into sentences, sentences into coherent paragraphs that form earth-shattering thoughts into a creative aspic of marvelous prose, then that is probably as it should be.

That is the natural order of things.

Some people are Writers.

And some are not.

Take it from a Writer who knows.

Go cook something.

And keep in mind that everyone who fiddles about in the kitchen is not necessarily a Cook...





Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A991136

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more