A Conversation for The Statue of Liberty

Niggle

Post 1

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

Fascinating article ... one niggle ... the 7 'seas' that are mentioned are infact oceans ... I realise it's slightly splitting hairs but once a pedant, always a pedant!

smiley - ok


Niggle

Post 2

NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625)

The seven seas is a common expression, 'the sea' usually refers to the nearest ocean, and sea is a dictionary approved synonym to ocean.

Merrian-Websters: sea 1c: ocean

I've outpedanted you. smiley - winkeye


Niggle

Post 3

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

smiley - tongueout

I have to admit to having cast an eye over dictionary.com to see what they had to say about seas and oceans and the definitions were pretty much the same ... Only thing I will hold up in my defence is the generally accepted terminology for the "seas" in question ... Atlanic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, Indian Ocean, etc as opposed to Caspian Sea, Mediterranean Sea, Black Sea ...

I suspect we could argue semantics until the small hours ...

"1. One of the larger bodies of salt water, less than an ocean, found on the earth's surface; a body of salt water of second rank, generally forming part of, or connecting with, an ocean or a larger sea;" Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

smiley - smiley


Niggle

Post 4

NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625)

Nah, don't see a reason for that. smiley - winkeye We've established that 'sea' has multiple meanings. It's not my language so I don't really care. smiley - smiley 'Osean' is archaic in Norwegian and the alternative 'hav' is used for the pacific ocean, mediterranian sea and the sea of tranquility alike. Much easier and more sensible. smiley - biggrin


Different Niggle

Post 5

manolan


You haven't been able to go up the torch for a very long time, except by special invitation because of fears for the structure of the arm. The normal viewing platform is in the crown.


Different Niggle

Post 6

J

Sorry, I originally put the 7 oceans, but it didn't look right, and PR convinced me to change it to seas and include what the sculptor intended.

smiley - blacksheep


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more