A Conversation for Pulsed Laser Systems

Typo?

Post 1

Wick

In Q-switching its is stated that the burst length is equal to the cavity length MULTIPLIED by the speed of light. Surely this should be cavity length DIVIDED by the speed of light.
Wick


Pedantry

Post 2

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

"It can be shown that the greater the difference between the pulse length and the pulse spacing, the larger the peak power."

The difference between a pulse length of 1 second and 1 millisecond spacing is identical to that between a 1 millisecond pulse and one second spacing, but the peak powers would be entirely different. That sentence is at best imprecise, and needs rephrasing... smiley - erm


Pedantry

Post 3

Euan - † - Getting a new laser to play with - woohoo

Both good points.

I need to read the final version of this thoroughly to check whether there were errors introduced in the Sub process too, but there may have been some I missed originally. THanks for letting me know about these two.

Euan


Pedantry

Post 4

Smij - Formerly Jimster

If you'd like to suggest how this might be resolved, I can make any changes you feel are necessary. smiley - smiley

Jimster


Pedantry

Post 5

Euan - † - Getting a new laser to play with - woohoo

Hi Jimster.

OK. The section that Peet mentioned above should be changed to

"It can be shown that the larger the pulse spacing is compared to the pulse length, the greater the peak power"

Wick's point is correct too. The word should be divided.

Also, in the table towards the bottom of the page, on the row beginning "Solid-state Q-switched", the columns fopr repetition rate and duty cycle are back to front. Could you switch these, please?

I think that's it, but there may be more.

smiley - cheers

Euan


Pedantry

Post 6

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Made those changes, but I wasn't sure about the columns. Do you mean just the headers (which is what I've done) or that the entire column should swap?


Pedantry

Post 7

Euan - † - Getting a new laser to play with - woohoo

Neither, actually. Sorry, that was a bit vague. If you can change them back, and then swap the 1000 and kHz-MHz around too. That should do the trick, so that the bits with *Hz are in the same column (marked repetition rate) and the ones which are purely numbers are in the other (marked duty cycle).


Pedantry

Post 8

Smij - Formerly Jimster

*Think* I've got it - can you just check?


Pedantry

Post 9

Euan - † - Getting a new laser to play with - woohoo

That's grand.


Pedantry

Post 10

Smij - Formerly Jimster

smiley - cheers


Pedantry

Post 11

aaallan

"It can be shown that the larger the pulse spacing is compared to the pulse length, the greater the peak power"

Er, I'm still not sure this is quite right. A laser pulse of, say 1 Watt lasting 1uS repeated once per second has a peak power of 1 Watt. The same 1uS pulse repeated once per year still has a peak power of 1 Watt.

It's not the peak power that increases, it is the average power that decreases.

Isn't it?

Allan


Key: Complain about this post