A Conversation for Peter Cook: Comedian, 1937 - 1995

not only but always

Post 1

Researcher 1300304

'not only but always' recently screened in oz. peter cooke was one of those guys who created the 'soundtrack' to my younger life and his death was the first time the death of a celebrity seemed to impact me personally.

as artful and inspired the telemovie was i can't help but feel the pathos angle was overplayed. cooke an underachieving remorseful failure? moore one of hollywoods biggest stars? i just don't believe it.

while those of us in the anglosphere that is not american are often disappointed that the likes of cooke and milligan never became household names in the us, it can hardly be said to be really surprising.

if cooke dipped his toes in that market and possibly hoped for more is one thing; but to portray him so deeply spurned by the limits of his acceptance just doesn't ring true.

this isn't some star struck kid from iowa craving stardom in tinseletown we are talking about after all.

how far are contemporary british commentators going to play out this cultural cringe? stephen fry better start getting successful in hollywood soon, or else getting out some definitive statements about his state of mind, otherwise we can expect the script for 'not only but always' to be rewritten in a few decades: with different names.


not only but always

Post 2

Researcher 1300304

and apologies for misspelling cook thoughout. i am tired. and crap at spellling to begin with.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Peter Cook: Comedian, 1937 - 1995

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more