The h2g2 Post 08.01.24

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 8th January 2024

This week's title is Blasts from the Past. Clockwise from upper left: Baby the cow, starlings in a tree in winter, a thatched-roof hut that looks magical, a lighthouse up close, an orange cat sitting smugly on a wooden staircase, dolphins leaping, a sunset sky full of nacreous clouds, a study of an intricately-patterned fence with bicycles parked beside it, closeup of a brown horse on a snowy day, and a red cardinal in a snow-covered bush.

Hello again. How's the new year treating you? Do you still have leftovers from the holidays? Here at the h2g2 Post, that's what we've got a lot of. Our lazy contributors have been so busy either having fun or preparing their novel prologues (which will appear next week) to send me very much new Stuff. So we'll have plenty of 'blasts from the past' in this week's issue.

That's okay, seriously: if you look in the archives you will notice A Hole. That's where some intergalactic vandals at about this time last year decided to muck with our web host. Result: lost data.

The joke's on them. The Post Editor believes in backup. The Post Editor knows where the bodies are buried – or at least where to find those leaping dolphins. The Post Editor has kept the receipts. So this week is a great time to sneak in with some primo photos that definitely need to be restored to our corner of the Akashic Record.

You'll recognise some old favourites ('Hey, isn't that Ricky the Horse?') and discover some brand-new Stuff you're sure to like ('The vicar said what at the church fête?'). So read the whole thing, please.

Next week, this drivel will be replaced by something even more inexplicable. Like the novels. One has Dutch teenagers in it. Another has a talking dog. There are space colonists and time travellers and a family of weird aliens who talk too much. You will laugh and furrow your brows and probably get scared, if I know FWR.

So please read, leave comments, and share. And have a good week. Be nice to 2024: it hasn't got its sea legs yet.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Cover for The Building, DG's new book, available from Lulu.
You have a friend who
NEEDS THIS BOOK.
Buy it now!



Quote of the Week.
Thanks for upholding the twin standards of all advice offered on Twitter: for it to be a) unsolicited and b) not very good.


Brian Bilston. (Thankfully, this reply was not directed at us.) We recommend Brian Bilston's poetry. It will give you a lift.
Exotic people in an exotic library.


January 2024 Post Challenge:
Prequels, Sequels, and
Paralipomena


Video Extra:
Presenting the Nuthatch
Click here in Ripley


CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL
Caption Challenge

A small white dog with a pensive expression.

WISE AND WONDERFUL

SUNRISE, SUNSET

Sunset Visitors

Starlings in the winter walnut tree by DG.


UP, DOWN, AROUND




Roll Out the Barrel (Organ)
Man operating a barrel organ in the 1940s.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
DID YOU KNOW?


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88041413

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more