House of the Morningstar: Chapter 14

0 Conversations

House of the Morningstar: Chapter 14

Abstract design with a circuit board, turret, and stars.


It was a terrible day. We were at our 'morning meeting' at around 10, when we heard quite some noise from the corridor outside. Of course we went to look what was going on and followed some other people, who were all going to the same direction. We arrived at the cafeteria, where a crowd had already gathered. Some people were talking agitatedly. Finally, Frank the security guard climbed up on a chair at the front. Two workers have been found dead on level -2 near the elevators. They were not sure yet what had happened and everyone should please stay calm. Security would take care to resolve the issue. It was certainly a terrible accident.


Everyone was shocked, of course. We returned to our offices, but nobody could really go back to work. Gene explained that it had happened before. Someone had once fallen off an unfinished building. Someone else lost their lives when there was a problem with the tunnel excavator near our building. Bill had been there, he said, it must have been bad.

Plot divider

Flowers and Bees


As Elanor and Harry further descended down the spiral staircase into the faint blue light, the walls around them suddenly gave way and they found themselves in a circular room of about the same size as the glass house above. The floor was tiled in a mesmerizing pattern of blue and green.


The room was encircled by dark wooden shelves, reaching from the floor almost to the ceiling. There was a bronce ladder on a rail for reaching the higher parts. The shelves were only interrupted by a large desk on which there was a stack of actual paper as well as some notebooks. There was also an old metal box with a picture of cookies on it, which contained a collection of pens and pencils in various shapes and colours. The shelves at the walls were filled also with books, boxes, ornamental figurines and other knick-knack, like a teddy bear in a space suit. The most prominent items however were all in all 5 transperent cylinders filled with what seemed to be a glowing blue liquid. One cylinder standing on some kind of apparatus with several screens of which Elanor and Harry could make neither head nor tail after cluelessly looking at it for a few minutes. When Harry wanted to randomnly press a button, Elanor stopped him.


'No pressing of buttons, you know what happened last time, when we were on that kangaroo case,' she said.


Harry sighed. He took one of the cylinders from the shelf instead and looked at it.


'It looks old,' Harry remarked ,'and it reminds me of something. I just can't say what exactly.'


He put the item back on the shelf and looked around some more. In the middle of the room, around the bottom of the spiral staircase, stood three large, ornamental flower pots. They contained three large plants which were about as high as an everage person and sprouted large, meaty leaves. One of them also had a bunch of dark blue, bell-shaped flowers, which appeared to be emitting a faint blue light. The plants were obviously growing in this room in almost complete darkness.


There also seemed to be some kind of buzzing around the flowers, which Elanor first thought came from bees, but upon further inspection turned out to be tiny drones. They watched the drones for a few minutes, when one of them left the plant and flew over to the strange apparatus. It started to hum and soon a drop of light blue syrup-like substance fell into a tiny glass vial.


Harry gave a whistle ,' now that's something.'


Elanor nodded, 'I think it literally is nectar. That's like discovering the secret formula of Crypto Cola. But... how?'


Harry watched the tiny drone flying back to the flower. Well', he said ,'I guess he was serious about breeding flowers, right?'


Elanor nodded while looking around. She found the switch of the lamp at the desk,which helped to view the amount of things which were actually hidden in this room. Elanor activated a link to the police station asking for backup. After a few minutes of arguing she ended the call ,'well, looks like they are all busy and we'll be on our own for now', she clapped her hands, 'so, let's get to work.'

An ornament.
Post Novella Project 2022/2023 Archive

Tavaron


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88023468

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more