Renfrew's Big Case: Episode 6

0 Conversations

Renfrew's Big Case: Episode 6

Renfrew the robot with a magnifying glass.

Android technology had come a long way by the beginning of the 21st Century. Competition among the economic superpowers had made it imperative that companies find out what the public actually wanted (even if said public wasn't always clear about that) and could afford to pay for. With large numbers of post-World War II workers – also known as Baby Boomers, though they were now far from being babies – becoming retirees, entrepreneurs had realized that there might not be enough workers in younger generations to care for them. Many retirees lived alone, but couldn't afford assisted-living arrangements. Why not use androids rather than humans to care for these people? People were used to getting answers from the likes of Siri and Alexa, so maybe these helpers could provide physical assistance as well.

There were now at least six companies pumping out robotic valets, gofers, and even nurses for the older retirees and the first wave of the Baby Boomers. Androids were becoming easier to assemble, and could be sold as kits to do-it-yourselfers like Sigismund.

There was yet another market beginning to open up: android-to-android communication. Renfrew had heard about the Androidnet, but Sigismund had programmed him to doubt that it had anything to do with him. Now, though, his conversations in Androids R We had made him realize that maybe he was missing out on something. He loved talking to Curlew, and wanted to stay in touch at home.

Renfrew wondered if do it-yourselfers could assemble androids as complex as Curlew. Well, not all do-it-yourselfers, as Curlew was amazingly close to being human. He had passed the Turing test many times. Even a doctor would be deceived at first. Curlew could eat, take showers, even go swimming without short-circuiting. Renfrew, by contrast, looked rather a lot like the tin man from "Wizard of Oz." What you see is what you get, he thought to himself as the tuneup began.

Post Novella Project 2022/2023 Archive

Paulh


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88022955

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more