Renfrew's Big Case: Episode 5

0 Conversations

Renfrew's Big Case: Episode 5

Renfrew the robot with a magnifying glass.

Renfrew was dismayed that Curlew had such a low opinion of current fictional detectives. "Beatrice Anaconda is my favorite!" he started to exclaim, but he was interrupted by a cheery "Did someone call me?" from the next aisle of Androids R We. There, in a long, sinuous black lace gown, was a 25-foot snake that bore a striking resemblance to the covers of the Beatrice Anaconda mystery series.

"Beatrice Anaconda at your service," the snake said, slithering toward the two androids.

"You're real?" Renfrew exclaimed.

"I'm not a flesh-and-blood snake, if that's what you mean," Beatrice purred. "In this climate I'd be hibernating already if I were. No, I'm an android, just like you. I'm here for a tuneup. Now, the woman who writes those books about me is a different matter. I doubt that she's real..."

"But Comet Bright has been interviewed on TV so many t-t-t-times," Renfrew stammered.

"Oh, please," Beatrice scoffed. "Ever hear of actors? Somebody claiming to be Comet Bright gave interviews, but she wasn't the writer who came up with those inaccurate and silly whodunits about me. I'm a detective, and I know these things."

"Renfrew, you're next," came a voice over the P.A. system.

"It's time for my tuneup," Renfrew apologized. "Can I meet up with you later, Miss Anaconda? I want to be a detective too, and I could use some tips."

"I know what case you're working on," Beatrice said with a wink. "Orly Beaugency's death by bathmat."

"You know about it?"

"Honey, it's all over the Androidnet." Beatrice was paged too, but before she slithered over to her cubicle she gave Renfrew some consolation. "If you're worried that someone else will steal your case, relax. Everybody knows you have some inside knowledge. Nail this case, and you will be famous as the ghost whisperer."

Post Novella Project 2022/2023 Archive

Paulh


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88022892

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more