Balance of Probabilities: Chapter 15

1 Conversation

Balance of Probabilities: Chapter 15

Scales of justice and DNA.

'She still struggling, mate?'

High above the site of the new Tube link, Rob MacDonald rubbed at his reddened eyes, looking out over the vast building site, as he disinterestedly bit into the single slice of bread that was his meal for the long, long shift. Feeling his empty stomach lurch, too tired, too empty, to eat.

Building work was scheduled to finish some two decades from now, and although the work was much needed, Rob seriously doubted he would witness the first launch.

'Yeah, Mike, poor little thing's worried sick, just can't get this bloody test thing out of her head.

'Spends most of her time at Church, though to be honest, even Mother is little comfort nowadays.

'They've given her meds to help, but I hate having to inject her every bloody night, just so she can get some rest. Poor thing.'

'Not only her, mate, you look like bloody death yourself! Here..'

Rob shook his head, refusing to take the sandwich offered him.

'Ta, Mike, but I'm not a man needing charity, not even yours.'

The words triggered a memory, sharing his break with the same workmate, months…heck, what seemed like a different bloody lifetime ago now…refusing the offer of food and charity then as now.

'Stubborn bugger! OK, if you won't take half my pie, can I offer you some advice, a bit of info that may help Lin?'

Rob noticed the smile disappearing from Mike's face as his old friend looked around nervously.

'Spit it out, mate, though from that look, I don't know if I want to hear it!'

'Look, you know I like a bit of a Chill now and then, yeah?'

Rob nodded, ready to dismiss that bloody idea!

'No, no, not for Lin, you CoDE types don't go in for that kind of thing, I know!'

'But….'

'But, I was talking to my guy, (he gets it cheap through one of his shadier contacts) and he was telling me his partner was pregnant, worried about her 180, yeah?'

Rob nodded, willing to turn a blind eye to the 'shady' part, if he could help Linda.

'Anyway, this guy knows a guy in the medical business….well, kind of…anyway, this other guy…'

Mike paused again, looking around before continuing, this time in a whisper.

'His contact used to work for the Agency, Medical nerd, DDV expert or something, anyway, apparently, for a price, this guy can do some kind of test and..here's the thing….he can tell you expectant parents…. that is….'

'For Mother's sake, Mick, just bloody get on with it, you're making me nervous!'

'This guy can tell you the results before the 180, put her mind at rest kind of thing! Might mean a few extra shifts for you, he's not cheap, but for Linda….?'

Three days later, Robert MacDonald had made the worst decision of his hard but honest life.

He finished his mouthful, carefully wrapping the crust to eat later, on his second shift.

'Things really that tight, Rob?'

Mike nodded at the pitiful meal. MacDonald saw the look of anguish on his friend's face.

'I'll survive. Look mate, you know I don't blame you for any of this, my decision, mine alone.

Now, come on, Mike, won't earn my keep sitting here yapping, back to it, eh? The good Citizens are waiting for a new bloody Tube!'

Post Novella Project 2022/2023 Archive

Freewayriding

27.02.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88020876

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more