Old Tin Box

1 Conversation

Old Tin Box

Memories in an old tin, by FWR

In my grandparents' front room stood an old sideboard. Bought new as a wedding present, but now sinking under the weight of fifty years of marriage, knickknacks and ornaments poking out, part-buried under piles of forgotten paperwork.

The middle draw was stiff to open, bottom bowed from the sheer amount of junk crammed into it. Knitting needles and patterns, side by side with photographs (so many photographs) and half-forgotten screwdrivers and pliers, broken lighters, and batteries of all shapes and sizes that probably no longer fit anything.

And a tin box. Red fading to silver, pattern rubbed away by decades of fingers.

The box!

As a child, the box was the highlight of that small room. I knew, once I'd wiggled the stiff draw from side to side, squeaking furiously (the runners and me!) as it edged open, the contents would be laid out on the arm of my grandad's chair. His fingers circling each item, deciding which story he'd retell that day.

Medals. War campaigns, first and second, family history on faded gaudy ribbons.

An old diver's watch, strapless, face glass cracked, but precious and vital to tales of warships and submarines.

Coins with strange King's heads, stranger writing, foreign travels of the ghosts of my family.

Sepia photographs, two young boys, not quite men, smoking, smiling, holding guns in a French field.

And the harmonica.

Tears in my grandfather's eyes as he played 'Oh My Darling Clementine' and 'She'll be Coming Round the Mountain'. Then older songs, songs of goodbyes and packing up your troubles.

Memories.

Two older brothers, taken too soon, laid to rest in a foreign land, but kept alive in a few songs, and an old tin box.

Create Challenge Archive

FWR

15.02.21 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88014080

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more