Vienna 1880 - 1 The Start Of A Day

3 Conversations


When Elisabeth woke at the sound of the alarm clock it was still dark outise. She stretched and emerged from under a heap of duvets. Her husband Georg grunted as he got up. The room was cool, as the stove which had been heated in the evening lost its warmth during the night. Behind the thick curtains winter had drawn icy flowers on the window glass. She heard her husband fumbling with the matches in the dark, then the kerosene lamp was lit.


The warm light dimly illuminated the bedroom. The two identical beds made of dark wood were placed next to each other at one wall. Their heads were decorated with a few simple carvings and knobs, fitting to those on the bulky wardrobe. There was also a large dresser with marble top and a mirror.


Elisabeth shivered as she got out of the bed and started to get dressed. She sighed as she closed the hooks on the front of her corset. She would never be fashionably thin, but she had the feeling it shifted her body to vaguely the right proportions. She put on her chequered stockings, that nobody but her husband would ever see and the warm winter under skirt and a chemise. Above all that she put on a long, slender dress, with long sleeves and a high collar. Its upper part was tight and closed with many pretty buttons.


Georg meanwhile dressed in long underpants, wool socks, a white shirt, jacket and dark suit. He liked colorful ties, of which he had a small collection.Finally, he combed his hair and tidied up his beard.


When Georg left the room, Elisabeth was still busy with pinning up her brown hair to a tight knot. Only the curls of her short pony covered her forehead. When she had put on her boots, Elisabeth went over to the children's bed chamber – which was accessed through a door in the parent's bedroom - to wake the kids.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88003893

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more