The h2g2 Post: 08.06.20

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 8th June 2020

Bug Special!!

Spider on a Sundial by pattipdx
A little road not made of man,

Enabled of the eye,

Accessible to thill of bee,

Or cart of butterfly.


Emily Dickinson

Here it is, as promised: the Bug Issue. We thank pattipdx for that amazing spider photo. We told her we weren't pedantic about spiders not being insects. We'll take 'em all. FWR has some spiders in here, for your delectation and delight. We also have butterflies, of course, and bees, and a fly and a hornet and a firebug and a carpet beetle and some we can't identify, and some we haven't seen before. Phred Firecloud has a slide show I call 'Apocalypse Bug' which you can see by clicking or looking down on this Pliny page. There's a bug quiz, and there are bug jokes, and….well, we're just buggy. So what else is new?

This month's theme is Backyard Nature. If you haven't already, look outside and see what you find. We'll take it all: the bugs, the birds, the other critters, like that pesky red squirrel that has the architect of the Post Office's new feeder stand walking around shaking his head and muttering, 'I can't believe that squirrel got up there again.' The idea is to distract ourselves from all the worrisome reality out there by noticing the beauty that's right under our noses1.

Is it working?
Red Squirrel Defeats Bird Feeder Again by DG

We are well aware that all is not well on planet Earth. While we rejoice in the sight of two more brave humans setting new records in space exploration (and wasn't that a thrill?), there's a lot of unhappiness down on the ground. In fact, somebody pointed out that the astronauts were probably glad to climb aboard a big, noisy rocket and escape to the ISS for awhile. We wish we could go with them and grow some zucchini in space, because…well, it's not all birds and roses. As Tom Lehrer famously said, 'What nature doesn't do to us will be done by our fellow man.'

Your Editor hopes to add a tiny bit to the understanding rather than cacophony out there. See my Op/Ed in this issue about how we go about getting what we want as a society.

Avoid viruses, friends. Wear your masks, wash your hands. Be kind to one another. Love your neighbour as yourself. Listen patiently. Speak your words wisely and in season. Have thoughts to share with us? Send them to the Post. And may this week hold good things for you all.




Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com



Quote of the Week:
If I can't relate to the story, I'm just typing.

William C Martell, screenwriter


Create June 2020 by Freewayriding
June Create Challenge:
Backyard Nature
Share Your Discoveries


Dmitri Gheorgheni

NATURE'S VARIETY SHOW
Spider, Man

Spider by FWR.

IDEAS'N'STUFF

BUGS: WHERE THEY LIVE

On a Rose

Ant in a Rose by Tavaron


ENTOMOLOGY AND ORNITHOLOGY




Nesting Season
House Sparrow by SashaQ
CHUCKLES
  • Op/Ed
  • What people want,
    and how we get it.

PICTURE STORIES


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


1Except for Awix: he's watching movies about bugs taking over. We suspect he's cheering for the bugs.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87980179

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more