Photography: Portrait or Landscape?

1 Conversation

A photographic terminology note from Bob.

Photography: Portrait or Landscape?

There appears that there is some confusion about the two photograph formats, Portrait and Landscape, and this short entry is an attempt to clarify the terms.

Both terms were born way back in history by the artists in their studios in Europe.

PORTRAIT

King James I of England

In the years before the photograph, if you wanted a picture of your loved one, you hired an artist to paint a picture: "A Portrait"!

Canvas was expensive, so most were depicted from the waist up, so the finished work of art was higher than it was wider, or similar to a sheet of A5 paper of today.

LANDSCAPE

Blue sky, green hill, and a wide horizon, by bobstafford

For those who had more money and wanted a view of their 1000 acres or a scenic view of the world, the choice was for a painting wider than higher, simply to get as much of the view on the canvas.

So that explains the origin of the terms that have been adopted by photographers of today to classify the two most popular photography formats ever: the Landscape and the Portrait.

View from My Window Archive

bobstafford

16.03.20 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87974860

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more