Jazz Babies Concert #2: Cats Fail to Appreciate 'Trees'

1 Conversation

Jazz Babies Concert #2: Cats Fail to Appreciate 'Trees'

Jazz for Bears by Library of Congress.

The Post Editor got a really cool Christmas present: a stack of old sheet music. This has led to a new video series I'm calling 'Jazz Babies Concerts'. This is number two.

Joyce Kilmer was killed at the Second Battle of the Marne in 1918. He left some poems, the most popular of which was 'Trees'. For years, 'Trees' was an Arbour Day favourite. 'Arbour Day' was what they had before Earth Day.

The years between the two world wars were boom years for the sheet music industry. They didn't only feature Tin Pan Alley hits and jazz music, though. There was also high-toned, pseudo-classical stuff, suitable for showing off before Company and thrilling audiences at the Tea Room. Such was Oscar Rasbach's setting of 'Trees'.

Oscar Rasbach (1888-1975) was a bonafide serious composer. He studied with important instructors. He even went to Vienna to study, far from his native Kentucky. What did he do with all this musical erudition? He composed 'art songs' for piano solo or vocal performance with piano accompaniment. Either way, as a pianist, you knew you were in for a lot of rippled arpeggios and 'butterfly' stuff. That's the only way the punters knew they were listening to real high-toned music. You know, the sort of thing the Marx Brothers made fun of.

'Trees' was composed in 1922, and it was still a popular musical piece in the 1950s, because I remember it from early childhood. The cats aren't impressed by it at all – TJ tried to knock me off the piano bench during this recording. I was afraid you might not be, either, so I let the cats entertain you while you listen to 'Trees'.

Only God can make a tree.

Joyce Kilmer, 'Trees'.

And cats. Don't forget 'cats' among God's top hits.

Click here for the video, or watch the embedded version in your Pliny-skin page.


Dmitri Gheorgheni Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

28.01.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87928357

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more