Post Quiz - Tales of the Babelfish: Answers

0 Conversations

Tales of the Babelfish: Answers

The Babelfish won't steer you wrong. Put one in your ear, and check your answers on the map.

Map of weird Earth languages

Just for fun, here are the weird language facts again. Have you revised any of your ideas about the world?

  1. Xhosa: 8 million speakers. Has clicks and is tonal.
  2. Belarusian: 3 million speakers. Can be written in Latin, Cyrillic, Arabic, or Hebrew script. Spelling bees must be fun.
  3. Silbo Gomero: 22,000 speakers. You whistle it!
  4. Rotokas: 4,000 speakers. Only has 12 letters, and they never say the letter 'n' unless they're making fun of foreigners. Oh, and there are three dialects.
  5. Michif: Fewer than 1,000 speakers. Uses French nouns and Cree verbs, which is clearly impossible. They probably have breakfast at Milliways.
  6. Archi: Fewer than 970 speakers. Has 82 consonants, and over 1.5 million forms for a single verb. Don't they have anything better to do?
  7. Koro: 800 speakers. It isn't related to any of its neighbouring languages, though it is in the Tibeto-Burman family.
  8. Pirahã: 380 speakers. Women use one less consonant than men. There is no past tense, because if you don't see something, it doesn't exist.
  9. Ayapaneco: 2 speakers. Worse, for years, they were mad and wouldn't talk to each other.
  10. Sentinelese: Number of speakers unknown. Nobody has ever heard this language, because if you get close enough to hear them, they shoot arrows at you. Only one anthropologist has ever made contact and lived to tell the tale. All that is known is that they do talk to each other.

Now, which of these amazing languages do you intend to learn next?

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

25.06.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87912363

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more