The Post Quiz: A Sydney Carter Primer

0 Conversations

We bet you can pass this quiz – even though you've never heard about any of this before. See how clever you are.

The Post Quiz: A Sydney Carter Primer

Today's quiz will introduce you to a songwriter named Sydney Carter. If you are British, he's probably affected your life in ways you aren't aware of. And we're willing to bet you can pass this quiz – while learning a few things you didn't know you knew. This is going to be fun. (Non-Brits: play along. You'll get your turn another week.)

  1. Sydney Carter was a Londoner, born in Camden Town. His song for Flanders and Swann called 'Down Below', was about…
    • The London Underground.
    • London sewer workers.
    • Going to hell.
    • The Isle of Wight.
  2. Carter and Donald Swann were old friends. They met in…
    • Public school.
    • A pub, while singing.
    • Greece, while driving ambulances.
    • A sewer, during National Service.
  3. Sydney Carter wrote a little ditty called 'My Last Cigarette', about a man trying to stop smoking. It was featured on the album called…
    • The Youth of the Heart.
    • Polkadots and Moonbeams.
    • Simple Gifts.
    • Taking Out the Dustbin.
  4. Carter wrote two songs that are widely sung in British schools. One of them is 'Lord of the Dance'. The other one is…
    • This Old Man.
    • The Rainbow Connection.
    • Day by Day.
    • One More Step.
  5. Carter wrote protest songs for the…
    • Aldermaston March.
    • Woodstock Festival.
    • BBC.
    • Brick Lane march.
  6. Carter wrote an eye-opening and controversial religious song called 'Friday Morning'. Bishop Fulton J Sheen drew a radio lesson from it, but there was an outraged call to ban the song from…
    • Billy Graham.
    • Enoch Powell.
    • The BBC.
    • Mary Whitehouse.
  7. Carter had a deeply spiritual philosophy, but he wasn't an orthodox religious thinker. A book containing his spiritual ideas had the title…
    • The Pilgrim's Regress.
    • The Sea of Faith.
    • The Rock of Doubt.
    • The Cloud of Unknowing.
  8. Sydney Carter's most famous song is probably 'Lord of the Dance'. He claimed that, among other things, the song was inspired by…
    • A ballet he saw once.
    • Children dancing in the street.
    • A verse of the Bible about David dancing.
    • A figure of Shiva, Lord of the Dance.
  9. Carter's song 'To the First of My Lovers' is about…
    • His first wife.
    • His love affair with the Mediterranean.
    • Jesus and St John.
    • The varieties of religious experience.
  10. Sydney Carter's 80th birthday was celebrated in…
    • The Shakespeare's Head.
    • Waterloo Station.
    • The Royal Albert Hall.
    • Westminster Abbey.

Okay, some of that was easy, admit it. Want to check? Click the picture for answers.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

26.02.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87905046

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more