The Post Quiz: Relative Fame

0 Conversations

Weird ancestors is Create's April theme.

The Post Quiz: Relative Fame

Do you have ancestors on your wall, or their skeletons in your closet? Answer these questions about famous people with odd ancestors.

  1. You'd think US presidents would be more varied, but no. Two father-and-son sets have been president, and one pair of distant cousins. Give the three names of these office hogs.
  2. Another US president, Jimmy Carter, shares an ancestor with a king. What celebrity is Jimmy distantly related to through an obscure German immigrant?
  3. Actor Benedict Cumberbatch has some embarrassing ancestors. How did they make their money?
  4. Cherie Blair is a distant cousin of an infamous US actor from the 19th Century. What did this relative do that might make her husband a bit nervous?
  5. Actor George Clooney shares an ancestor with an iconic figure from US history: maybe he should have played him rather than Daniel Day-Lewis. Who was Clooney's half-first cousin five times removed?
  6. For an unconscionably long time, the Commonwealth (state) of Virginia had laws defining the 'race' of its citizens. What special law would exempt extremely prominent people – such as former US president George W Bush – from being labeled 'not white'?
  7. Bing Crosby, a famous Catholic, had a famous Puritan ancestor. The first religious leader in Plymouth Colony, William Brewster, had four children. Their names were Patience, Fear, Love, and what?
    • Hope
    • Bing
    • Wrestling
    • Faith
  8. Alan Shepard was the first American in space. But an ancestor of his made 'first contact'. With whom?
  9. The Baldwin Brothers, actors, had an ancestor aboard the Mayflower. (He was an indentured servant.) What remarkably embarrassing thing did John Howland do on the voyage to New England?
  10. Businessman and sometime TV personality Donald Trump is running for US president. What was his father's unusual middle name?

Curious to find out the answers? Click on the picture below to reveal the damaging details.

An artist's impression of a family tree.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

04.04.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87869894

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more