Writing Right with Dmitri: Magpies Anonymous

1 Conversation

Writing Right with Dmitri: Magpies Anonymous

Editor at work.

You know what a magpie is, right? A bird that's known for collecting things. Or stealing things, even if they aren't immediately useful things, like pens, candles and coathangers. Which is really what I intended to natter about here: the idea that writers, like magpies, collect things which might appear to be useless. Things like images, ideas, scraps of conversation, etc. And that, just as magpies often use these found objects in their large nests, we use the things we collect to enrich our writing. Which was, I thought, a pretty good point to make.

But then I looked up magpies. And turned into an illustration of my own thesis.

First: magpies, which are corvids, therefore pretty clever, as Willem will tell you, can recognise themselves in a mirror. This makes a magpie more socially adept than me. I can't recognise myself in a mirror, except when I'm the only one in the mirror. That's because I have prosopagnosia, or face blindness. So score one for the magpies. At least I can write about it.

Next, I found out that magpies hold funerals. Which I found really impressive and endearing. What amazing creatures they are. If I lost a buddy like that, I'd probably cry, too.

They're playful, too. The magpie in that video was egging the puppy on to all sorts of mischief. Look out, laundry. Interspecies fun.

Magpies are good imitators. They can do other birds, other animals, and odd sounds like sirens. Hm, I'm beginning to be in awe… Okay, they can even sing in choirs….now you're freaking me out…they imitate, another writerly trait.

Magpies are hard on predators, such as cats. You can't blame them, and boy, do they have technique. Writers have to work hard to skewer the predatory among the human population.

And just like writers, magpies sometimes attend conferences. And they have their say about the issues of the day, no doubt.

So, okay. Writers are a lot like magpies, because:

  • They're clever.
  • They collect Stuff.
  • They attack Evil.
  • They imitate the world around them.
  • They like to talk.

Okay, so call me a magpie, I don't care. Like them, I'll make art out of what I can find. See you later, and remember: all God's creatures got a place in the choir.

Writing Right with Dmitri Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

16.11.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87862936

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more