The Post Exploding Animal Quiz: Answers

0 Conversations

Beware: handle incendiary animals with caution.

The Post Exploding Animal Quiz: Answers

Wall Street bombing aftermath, 1920.

How much did you know? Remember, fertiliser is the farmer's friend, but only when handled safely. Parliament is not the only place where manure is combustible.

Here are the answers.

  1. During World War II, as we know, the Japanese employed fire balloons against the US. What strange incendiary bioweapon did a US dentist invent to use against the Japanese?
    Bat Bombs. The project, which involved airlifting more than a million bats armed with firebombs over Japan, was never implemented. One scientist referred to it as 'Die Fledermaus Farce'.
  2. You know about the 1993 and 2001 bombings in New York, using a truck bomb and airliners, respectively. What did Italian terrorists use in their attack on Wall Street in 1920?
    A horse-drawn wagon. The bomb killed 38 people and an innocent horse, and did $2 million in damage. Talk about occupying Wall Street...
  3. Kamikaze pilots were not the only suicide bombers in World War II. What animals did the Soviets use against German tanks?
    Dogs. (Shame on them.) The Germans called them Panzerabwehrhunde.
  4. What infamous US behavioural scientist worked on a pigeon-guided missile during World War II?
    BF Skinner. (Who else?) Project Pigeon failed, but Skinner claimed it was because the military refused to take him seriously.
  5. What creature explodes altruistically, to save its fellows?
    The carpenter ant, C. Saundersi, of Southeast Asia. It has a self-destruct mechanism, called autothysis. We don't know if it shouts 'Exterminate!' in ant while perishing.
  6. What strange thing happened to a farmer in Queensland, Australia, when he was milking his cow in 1932?
    The cow's head blew off. It had swallowed a detonator in a field, but the device didn't go off until later. Moral: don't feed explosives to ruminants.
  7. What causes worldwide incidents of spontaneous exploding pigs?
    Manure. There's a reason Homeland Security are worried about your fertiliser purchases.
  8. Why was the small body of water in the Altona district of Hamburg labelled the Tümpel des Todes (Pond of Death) in 2005?
    Exploding toads. At least 1000 of them blew up. The complicated explanation involved crows that ate the toads' livers, and a defensive mechanism gone mad.
  9. What was the Sheriff of Essex accused of plotting to do in 1267?
    Release flying cockerels with incendiary bombs over London. Call it 'Ye Blitz'.
  10. In 1970, the Oregon (US) Highway Division did something unusual and explosive, but it was intended to protect public health. What was it?
    They blew up a whale. The poor thing had died on an Oregon beach, and beaches were listed as 'public highways' back then. They couldn't move it, so they blew it up.

Did you pass? Then you can be licenced to deal with the next animal combustion crisis in your area. This has been a public service of the h2g2 Post Agricultural Division.

Animation showing whale ramming fishing boat, eating fisherman and then fisherman travelling down into whale's belly and surviving!
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

28.09.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87860497

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more