Game of the Month: I Am Not Bread

0 Conversations


`banner by FWR

When is a loaf not a loaf, when you played different game.

I know some of you were expecting a ramble about how to become toast. Yeah, go on, tell me I'm a numpty, I have bought I am Bread, however, I've not played enough of it yet to form an opinion, partly because I needed to buy a new game pad1 and partly because I've been playing Crypt of the Necrodancer every day with my son. So if you want to know whether a rouge-like game and a rhythm based game can get married and live happily ever after, you 've come the right place.

I think a little explanation of gamer terms is in order.

  • Rougelike refers to the 1980 game called, oddly enough, Rouge. In the game you wander around shed-loads of dungeons, killing everythimg in sight and fighting the the great big bad at the end.
  • Rhythm-based games are exactly what you would expect them to be, pressing keys or buttons in time to the music. I must admit I really love this type of game, ever since I played Bust a Groove on the old Playstation Although you do have to listen to some really, really horrid songs2.
  • Full confession, I have been playing Crypt as local two player co op with my son. Although I can type fairly well using a keyboard for gaming is just odd - even the arrow keys cause me problems. So it was with delight that I was allowed to play with the only working game controller we had.

    We've actually only finished zone one in the game but keep dipping back in to get yet more diamonds that we can then use to buy better equipment and more heart containers, my son thinks better at it than me because he's used to playing on the PC. Silly boy, I've got a controller now and a few more years of experience at this type (or should that be types?) of game.



    One thing I learned really early on the game is to let someone else have all the bombs - that way I can't accidentally hit the blue and green buttons at the same time and blow myself to smithereens. The second thing I learned is that my son likes to take all the best stuff for himself, this didn't really surprise me (he stole my Wamp3)in Crash TwinSanity several years ago and hates to think he's missed out on the best weapons in Borderlands.

    Enough waffle, is the game any good? It's a very decent dungeon crawler with rather cool graphics, annoying Bosses and some quite terrible music to time your moves to as you can only move or hack the enemy on the beat. You can add your own music, however, unless I'm doing a multi, multi lapped race in Forza or some such, I usually stick with the music of the game itself. Most of the enemies movements are predicted and regular, there's even one that just stands there, almost dibbling, just waiting you to kill him. If you like Rouge-like games and don't mind a bit of cheesy Dubstep, you can really go wrong. But remember you'll need a controller or two, it just makes it so much relaxing, unless your partner kills himself with a bomb at the beginning of the level and you have to hack and dance your way the exit.


    Until next time, Happy toast eating and happy gaming.

    Game of the Month Archive

    Magwitch

    14.09.15 Front Page

    Back Issue Page

    1The keyboard controls are a bit mad for a Newb like me.2I can still hear one the songs in my head now3It's actually a Wampa Fruit, but I only got to Wamp before we all burst out laughing.

    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Conversations About This Entry

    There are no Conversations for this Entry

    Entry

    A87859534

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more