Spoils of War: Beware the Blood Moon!

1 Conversation

Are you ready for the apocalypse?

What? Another one already?

Beware the Blood Moon! Coming This Month to an Apocalypse Near You!

A blood moon.

Depending on who you listen to, 28 September will be:

  • The end of civilisation as we know it. (Again.)
  • The date of the Second Coming/Rapture/Tribulation (beginning or end), or Arrival of the Great Green Arkleseizure.
  • The approximate impact date of a monster space rock that will land on Puerto Rico and...etc, etc.
  • Another common or garden variety lunar eclipse.

It more or less depends on whether you believe that the coincidence of tetrads – periods of four consecutive total lunar eclipses – falling on Jewish holidays, with a solar eclipse thrown in, fulfills the prophecy of Joel:

The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come.

Okay, but why now? Tetrads are not that uncommon. And, er, full moons falling on holidays in a lunar calendar…? Er …. Most of us think we need a more specific reason for panicking. Besides, it says right on the cover, Don't Panic…

We do wish Prophets of Doom, Inc would take learn to turn on brains before engaging mouths. Or that somebody would come up with a licencing exam for the profession.

NASA and JPL would probably like to wring their necks. Once again, they have to issue statements such as, 'There is No Asteroid Threatening Earth'. They have telescopes. They do watch, you know. And if you want to worry along with the professionals, you can download the NASA widget to keep track of killer asteroids and other potential purveyors of mayhem.

Oh, and we guess it's time to plan another apocalypse party. Anybody got 'The End Is Nigh' signs left over from the Mayan bash a couple of years ago? We can watch the latest doomsday movie…

Comet Lovejoy. Not about to destroy Earth.
Spoils of War Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

07.09.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87859228

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more