Spoils of War: Quiz Answers

0 Conversations

What is wrong with this World War II maintenance picture?

Mistakes in On the Line Picture

1. You on the left, buddy. That file looks big enough to whittle a horseshoe. It's pure folly to attempt to dress those threads that way. Return the cylinder head (from the propeller control unit) to the machine shop for rethreading.

2. Hey, you on the stand, there's a tool lying on the edge of your maintenance stand. The slightest shift of your foot and . . . konk . . . it's on your friend's head.

3. Nix on tightening that retaining nut with a screwdriver. To get the proper leverage and tension use the specified bar. Reference: T.O. 03-20A-I.

4. And look what you've done. Believe it or not, it does happen. The mech installed that prop by hoisting it right off the maintenance stand, locking the stand between the prop and the engine. Now the prop will have to be removed to get the stand free.

5. That maintenance stand must be our jinx this month. Another offense: It's rubbing against the spark plug terminals. T.O.'s give you essential information but you're expected to use common sense along with it.

6. And, Sergeant, the wheel locks haven't been tightened on the maintenance stand wheels. After all, it isn't a tea cart.

7. There's a rear cone on the floor in front of the stand. Could it be that the mech forgot to install it? Reference: T.O. 03-20CB-2. Besides, what's that rear cone doing on the floor anyway? The surface of the rear cone is machined and polished and shouldn't be exposed to scratching or other possible damage. Never leave it carelessly on the floor or allow other surfaces to nick its finish. (Incidentally, that bar resting on the rear cone is the tool that should be used to tighten
the retaining nut instead of a screwdriver.)

8. A torque blade beam shouldn't be wedged in the ladder. It might mean a broken ankle should the crew chief make a quick descent.

9. Now, you, on the right. Those water pump pliers are too large for tightening hose clamps. Hose clamps should be finger-tightened. Reference: T.O. 03-1-20.

10. And what's going on here? You're standing on a toolbox. It's unsafe and, besides, it might injure the box.

11. Are chocks being rationed? Or did the mechs just forget to put one under the right wheel? If the plane moves, the maintenance stand will cause the prop to lose her schoolgirl complexion. Reference: T.O. 0I-60FC-2.

Spoils of War Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

03.08.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87857491

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more