A Conversation for The Schlieffen Plan

Changes in military resources of WW I

Post 1

ITIWBS

Besides machine guns, assault rifles and air power, German and Austrian planners gravely underestimated the importance of the introduction of modern motor transport.

Besides saving the French and BEF forces from defeat at the first battle of the Marne, motor transport proved decisive in the finale of WW I at the battle of Vittorio-Veneto, a strategic motor move that took the German and Austrian planners completely by surprise, opening a new front in Austrian held Italian territory, something the German and Austrian military planners thought to be logistically impossible, as it would have been without modern motor transport.

The Austrians sued for peace two weeks later.




The battle of Vittorio-Veneto provides the backdrop for the Ernest Hemingway novel "A Farewell To Arms".


Changes in military resources of WW I

Post 2

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I just want to share with you both the ultimate blog on WWI history http://www.dancarlin.com/hh-55/ I listened a few months ago and it was all free, I am not sure that is still is. It is several hours long and it is one of the best history lectures on the Great War I have ever found.

Thought you might find this of interest, I especially liked the part where the German Army was close enough to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower, and suddenly swung east to attack the troops in Alsace-Lorraine.

smiley - cheers

F smiley - dolphin S


Changes in military resources of WW I

Post 3

Bluebottle

Thanks both of you - you're right, ITIWBS, that motor transport was another factor that hadn't been foreseen.

Thanks for the link Fsmiley - dolphinS, I'll see if I can listen when I have a spare moment.smiley - smiley

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Schlieffen Plan

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more