Oddity of the Week: That's Entertainment!

1 Conversation

What do you do for fun?

That's Entertainment

Children drawing.

Do you know what struck us about this picture from somewhere in the 1930s or 1940s? You don't?

Look at it again.

Yeah, the kids aren't wearing Nikes. And they don't have t-shirts with cool sayings. But that's not all.

They're drawing, reading, and writing. And they're quiet. You can just see the concentration in their postures and faces. No attention-deficit-whatsit going on at all.

Most remarkable of all…there's not an electronic device in sight. There are no headphones, earplugs, mp3 players, iPhones, iPads, or computer gizmos in evidence. Nobody's texting, tweeting, or otherwise sending out nonsense over the invisible waves of social whatever. They are totally, completely engrossed in manipulating crayons, ink, and text. Wow. What a concept. We wonder what teacher thought of it?

Maybe we could hire her.

Just saying: turn off your devices occasionally. Come back to us, but in the meantime: stop and smell the flowers. Or the chalkdust.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

10.11.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87842668

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more