Taiho Jutsu – The Arresting Martial Art Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Taiho Jutsu – The Arresting Martial Art

1 Conversation

Poster depicting Taiho Jutso

Introduction - From Tokyo to Yorkshire

Following the Second World War the Japanese were forbidden to practice any form of martial arts. In 1947 the Japanese government requested permission from SCAP (Southern Command Army Pacific) to develop a system of self defence and arrest techniques for their Police Officers who often had to deal with armed and dangerous criminals. This system sourced techniques from the (then) banned traditional martial arts as well as western boxing and became known as Taiho Jutsu1.

Almost thirty years ago the British Police commissioned a report into the application of Taiho Jutsu for unarmed Police Officers in the UK. In 1979 the late Brian Eustace brought Taiho Jutsu to the British Police at the Central Planning Unit in Harrogate,Yorkshire.

Constant reviews of the techniques and training were performed by the Home Office and the delivery to serving officers was standardised. Taiho Jutsu remained solely a martial art for serving police officers and the syllabus reflected the needs of the Police. The need for competency in restraint,control and arrest with the minimum risk of injury to all parties involved was paramount.

Not Just for the Boys in Blue.

Local TV and newspapers at the time took up the story of the new 'Kung Fu Cops' and public interest and enquiries as to where they could train in the martial art grew. Police Officers on the streets of Merseyside were being stopped and asked if they knew of any non police clubs.

In 1984 the first ever civilian Taiho Jutsu club was started by Sensei Ross Jackson in Merseyside. A large proportion of its members were initially drawn from the emergency services who wished to progress in the martial art outside of regulated mandatory training sessions, but for the first time the invitation was made for the general public to take part. The club proved extremely popular and in 1987 moved from Liverpool to Wirral and officially became the Wirral Taiho Jutsu Club.

Training centred on three aspects, kata (the formal demonstration of techniques required at all levels from beginner to black belt), streets (self defence applications) and competition sparring (based on Tomiki Aikido). Club grading examinations at 1st Dan levels (black belt) initially relied on outside Police examiners who had reached the required standards. Civilian members eventually joining their black-belted police peers and inter-club examinations soon became civilian affairs, although it was always an honour for the Wirral club to have the originators of British Taiho Jutsu accepting an invitation to grade their students.

Thirty Years On.

With the introduction of baton and CS spray training the Home Office gradually moved away from the set Taiho Jutsu syllabus for serving officers and the traditional aspects of this martial art became a civilian pursuit in Merseyside. Other Taiho Jutsu clubs have prospered up and down the UK, in Europe and overseas, there are several Taiho Jutsu governing bodies that still run their local clubs.Regular worldwide competitions, seminars and events, both Police and Civilian occur annually.

Since 1984 the Wirral Taiho Jutsu legacy has carried on in various guises, as founders and senior instructors have moved on or away from the area, some aspects are now being taught alongside other martial arts, some have been developed into private personal protection training and some being taught as an 'add on' to the sport of Judo at local Merseyside clubs. 

For anyone considering becoming involved in a very effective martial art, one that teaches respect, restraint and self-confidence, Taiho Jutsu maybe just what you are looking for! A policeman's helmet with a Japanese cloth emblem superimposed.
1Pronounced 'tie ho jut sue'.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A87821238

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more