Oddity of the Week - NaJoPoMore

1 Conversation

NaJoPoMo was full of oddities…and that was just the h2g2 writers…

Funicular Musings

Duquesne Incline.

Personal favourite from the Time Travel Journal your Ed put up in order to avoid working too hard for NaJoPoMo was this picture of a funicular built in Pittsburgh in 1877. It's still in operation, and it runs up and down Mt Washington. Lovely view of the Three Rivers, and it's been featured in the US TV series The Guardian. So far, so tourist-y.

What happened on the discussion thread, though, was what makes NajoPoMo so special every year.

Viewer Response

Pierce the Pirate: I hope the brakes don't break!

Cactuscafe: here's a funicular cliff railway in Hastings, UK. I think it's the steepest in the country. I remember riding on it in childhood and wondering what happens if the cable breaks.

Icy North: I didn't travel on it, but I saw the funicular when I visited Hastings earlier this year.

Pierce the Pirate: Sorry, but somebody had to post this, and as it turns out, that somebody was me.

Me: Okay, Pierce, here are the lyrics WE sang to that song:

The other day I wore into the subway

My high silk hat, my high silk hat.

I laid it down upon the seat beside me,

My high silk hat, my high silk hat.

A big fat lady came and sat upon it, My high silk hat, my high silk hat,

A big fat lady came and sat upon it, My high silk hat, my high silk hat.

Christopher Columbo, now what d'ye think of that?

Christopher Columbo, now what d'ye think of that?

My hat she broke, now what's the Joke?

My hat she broke, now what's the Joke?

Christopher Columbo, now what d'ye think of that?

Pierce: This really should have come with a warning. But okay, I guess I brought this on myself.

Magwitch: I'm scared of heights. I can't even 'do' mezzanine.

Etc…before they were finished, they'd threatened to visit every funicular in the UK.

And that's what I love about NaJoPoMo!

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

09.12.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87818070

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more