Time Travel Photo Journal #22: Gotha Be-In

0 Conversations

A series of pictures and factoids for Create's NaJoPoMo Challenge.

Time Travel Photo Journal #22: Gotha Be-In

The Orangerie in Gotha.

This is an Orangerie. I'm not sure what this is. It might be a place to grow oranges. It was built in the 18th Century in this marvelous place called Gotha. Gotha is in Thuringia, where the sausages come from. When we saw the Orangerie, there were no oranges. It was snowing. The bare trees were coated in sparkling ice. It was a winter wonderland, as Elektra reminds me.

Elektra and I spent a couple of days in Gotha around New Year's, 1992. We had some cheap airline tickets, the Wall was down, and we were dying to see what East Germany looked like. It was deadly cold, snow everywhere, but we just wrapped up and hiked all over the place. We had a ball.

Gotha's a cool town. Lots of old stuff. We didn't get to see the zeppelin tower, a pity. The medieval church is lovely, though. Gotha's really close to Erfurt, so it's Reformation territory. You can tell from the architecture.

The nice thing about seeing Thuringia so soon after Reunification was that you got glimpses of what Germany was like before. Before Wienerwald, you know? There was an old tram. The trains we rode on still said 'RB'. The place had no neon, no grocery chains, nothing but local colour. Snow, yes. But local snow. The food was good.

Me, I enjoy variety. The total absence of Starbucks is, to me, a promise that here, people are being themselves. So there wasn't a lot in the entertainment line. So what? There was something to see around every corner.

Time Travel Photo Journal Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87816865

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more