Time Travel Photo Journal #14: Dangerous Terrorist Hangout

1 Conversation

A series of pictures and factoids for Create's NaJoPoMo Challenge.

Time Travel Photo Journal #14: Dangerous Terrorist Hangout

City Tavern in Philadelphia.

John Adams said it was the 'most genteel tavern in America'. It was built in 1773. The first building burnt down in 1834, but it's been rebuilt in its original form. You can have real colonial food and beverages there. Try the Shrub. It's refreshing in a pewter flagon. If you're into the hard stuff, taste some Madeira. It's a real dining experience.

Back in the day, though, that place was a hangout for domestic terrorists. They'd sit there by the fire and foment revolution. All the bad-news guys were there: Adams and his rabble-rousing brother, Sam. (Those Kray twins had nothing on Sam Adams, the Godfather of the Revolution.) Red-headed Jefferson, sneaky Franklin…British Colonial Security probably had spies among the serving wenches.

Actually, MIwhatever dropped the ball on that one. They didn't use taverns to spy enough. In 1777, the British occupied Philadelphia. Naturally, they took over all the night spots, such as City Tavern. And THEN…the owner, Little Smith, and his wait staff passed all the juicy info over to George Washington.

Overall, the US owes a great deal to waitresses in the fight for independency, as they called it.Those women passed all manner of military secrets to the Continentals. You see, the British Army and Navy were a lot of honking MCPs1. They didn't think mere females understood all that man-type talk about mamelons and ravelins… Boy, were they wrong.

Personally, I always liked to drop in on City Tavern for a drink before a show. Especially in fall and winter. That fireplace in the front room would just bring it all back. You'd sit there, sipping your hot toddy, and look out the big paned window. And imagine: instead of the modern blue-jeans crowd, there's a bunch in tricorne hats out there, going about their business.

Elektra suggests I share this recipe link with you. It's for pepper pot soup, colonial style. The City Tavern does it very well. And let's face it, it fueled a revolution.

Time Travel Photo Journal Archive
1Male Chauvinist Pigs.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A87816207

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more