Time Travel Photo Journal #11: Traffic Light (How Exciting)

0 Conversations

A series of pictures and factoids for Create's NaJoPoMo Challenge.

Time Travel Photo Journal #11: Traffic Light (How Exciting)

Traffic Light in Gastonia, North Carolina.

Photographer John Vachon took this picture from a truck. They were on their way through Gastonia, North Carolina, to Greenville, South Carolina, in March of 1943. He must have got bored, sitting at the desolate traffic light in exciting downtown Gastonia, – trust me, this was rush hour – so he snapped this picture for the Farm Security Administration. These people recorded all sorts of mundane scenes of everyday life in the less picturesque parts of backwater America.

But think about it.

In 1943, war was raging in Europe. War was raging in the Pacific. Heck, war was raging just about everywhere. It was hard to escape the fighting, except in Antarctica, or on the moon.

Or sitting in an intersection on Chester Street in Gastonia, next to the ARP Church.

By the way, that intersection still looks pretty much the same way as it did in 1943. Except the gas station sign, which has been updated. Esso is Exxon now.

Time Travel Photo Journal Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87815956

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more