Time Travel Photo Journal #10: Monistiraki Beckons Tourists

0 Conversations

A series of pictures and factoids for Create's NaJoPoMo Challenge.

Time Travel Photo Journal #10: Monistiraki Beckons Tourists

Monsistiraki, Athens

It's amazing what changes, and what doesn't. That picture was taken in 1901.

Monistiraki hasn't changed a whole lot. Okay, they probably have cybercafés now. And the dresses are shorter. Okay, and they sell more t-shirts. T-shirts with dumb sayings on them, like, 'Then ksero tipota, it's all Greek to me', and 'Retisna dancing'. Some of these slogans were suggested by drunken students on spring break.

But people have been selling things in Monistiraki since the days of Pericles. And you can still buy a genuine replica clay vase, complete with naughty silhouettes.

Go around the corner, and you can get some gyros me pita, and a fresh salata horiatiki. Wash it down with some retsina. And you'll be eating essentially the same meal as an ancient Greek Olympian. The only foods they've added in 2,000+ years are tomatoes, potatoes, and coffee. I can live with that.

And they'll still give you a special discount if you're the first customer of the day.

One thing that Pericles didn't build: the metro. But he left all those cats there. If the sun's not too high, you'll see about fifty cats on the tin roof over part of the station.

Mediterranean people love cats. It was those Egyptians. All of those Greek cats are descended from kidnapped Egyptian cats. Back in ancient times, the Egyptians would send a strike force to recover kidnapped cats. It was illegal to export them, under pain of the death penalty. In fact, enemy armies were known to defeat Egyptian forces by the sneaky trick of releasing kittehs onto the battlefield. The Egyptians would fold, rather than risk injury to the sacred moggies.

This explains why Greek cats have such a superior attitude towards the ubiquitous Greek Brown Dog. They're special, and they know it.

Enjoy your souvlaki. And share with the cats!

Time Travel Photo Journal Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87815802

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more