This moist, delicious cake gets its sweetness from raisins, canned fruit and unsweetened apple juice. There is no sugar in the recipe, nor is any needed. Also, the fat content is modest, consisting of enough oil to grease the bottom of the pan, plus whatever fat is in the three teaspoons of ground nuts.
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal (dried maize), preferably wholegrain
- 1/4 cup rolled oats, ground
- 1/4 cup bran flakes, ground
- 3 teaspoons ground nuts [almonds, walnuts, pecans, or whatever you have]
- 1 tablespoon dry milk powder
- One pinch of each of the following spices: cinnamon, allspice, cloves, ginger, nutmeg.
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Approx 15oz (425g) can of unsweetened fruit cocktail, drained1
- 1 cup of unsweetened apple juice
Put oats, bran flakes and nuts through a blender until they have the consistency of flour. Place in a mixing bowl, then add the other dry ingredients and stir. Mix the fruit with the apple juice then add to the dry ingredients, stir, and pour into a greased loaf pan. Put in an oven and bake at 350°F (175°C) for an hour. Serve as is, or top with butter or margarine or yogurt.